Police investigating three sexual assaults against young girls in Castleford have released CCTV of a man they believe could hold vital information.
The footage was taken from outside a corner shop at the junction of Smawthorne Grove and Willow Road on Saturday, May 31at 5.36pm and shows a middle aged white male with short hair who was wearing light grey coloured trousers and a dark blue T-shirt.
Detective Inspector Mark Catney, from Wakefield District CID, said: "We know the two victims were at the corner shop around the same time and I believe this man may have seen the two children shortly before the assaults took place on Saturday evening.
"I would ask him to come forward as he may hold vital information which could assist the investigation. I would also ask anyone who recognises the man to contact police."
Around 90 minutes later two local girls aged 5 and 6 were sexually assaulted as they played on an area of wasteland at the back of Garden Street.
A second incident occurred the following day, Sunday , June 1, between 1.20pm - 3.20pm when two girls aged 6 and 7 were playing in a park off Barnes Road in Castleford. They were approached by an unknown male walking a dog who engaged them in conversation before assaulting the 6-year-old.
A 27-year-old man, who was arrested on Sunday evening, has been released on police bail.
The suspect is described as a white male aged 25 to 35 years of age with light coloured short hair.
DI Catney added: "The response we have received from local residents has been really encouraging and I would like to thank them for their support while the investigation continues to progress.
"In the meantime, specially trained officers are continuing to support the families of the victims and neighbourhood officers have increased patrols across the area and are visiting local schools to promote safety messages around children not talking to strangers."
Anyone with information is asked to contact Wakefield District CID via: 101 and quoting reference number 1101 from June 1st.
A 19-year-old man has been arrested following a suspected sex assault on a 17-year-old girl in Doncaster.
Police taped off a strip of land in Grove Park , which backs onto houses on Hillcrest Road, yesterday.
The incident is alleged to have happened at about 9am on Friday.
The man arrested in connection with the sex assault has been bailed pending further enquiries.
A dangerous child sex attacker has been been found guilty of kidnapping a 10 year old girl as she walked to Tescos in Bridlington to buy food for her pet rabbit. Peter Carroll, who is 52, and from Batley in West Yorkshire was on holiday in the seaside resort .
He targeted his victim before waiting near a railway line to lure her into bushes, saying he knew her dad. He was also found guilty at Hull Crown Court of inciting a child to commit a sexual act and commiting an offence with intent to commit a sexual offence.
The girl’s mother who watched through-out the trial broke down in tears as the guilty verdicts were announced. She was comforted by her husband. Outside court she said:
“Carroll is every parents’ worst nightmare. This was the first time my daughter had been allowed to go to Tesco. I wanted to give her a bit of independence as she is moving to secondary school next year. When this happened she lost all that confidence."
Carroll will be sentenced in around four weeks time.
An investigation has started in Whitby after a sex attack on a girl.
It happened in an alleyway between New Quay Road and Baxtergate between 8:30pm and 9pm on 12 September. It is believed an unknown man approached the girl in the alleyway and attacked her before she was able to escape on her bicycle.
She initially told a friend about what had happened and then her family called the police. Specialist police and medical support has been provided to help the girl and her family.
Extra patrols are also being carried out to reassure residents and visitors.
DCI Ruff continued: