Police investigating the murder of a man in Wombwell say the incident appears to have been a '"targeted attack." The body of 65-year-old John Gogarty was found in a house on Marsh Street on Friday afternoon. A post-mortem examination found that he had been repeatedly stabbed.
We are in the early stages of the investigation however the indication, at this stage, is that the person who carried out the attack was probably known to the victim as there were no signs of forced entry. If anyone has any information they think may assist us, however apparently insignificant, please do get in touch. We have a dedicated team of officers working around the clock and are following a number of lines of enquiry.
Police investigating the discovery of a body in Wombwell have described the death as "suspicious".
The 65-year-old's body was found in a property in Marsh Street at 4pm on Friday.
South Yorkshire Police said, "The death is being treated as suspicious and a full investigation is underway including house to house enquiries in the area."
David Hirst reports:
Police have asked for anyone with any information to contact them on 101.
Four new litters of puppies have been born at the South Yorkshire Police dog training school in the last few weeks.Read the full story ›
South Yorkshire's Police and Crime Commissioner is raising awareness of the force's restorative justice programme.
Doctor Alan Billings, is promoting the scheme which offers victims of crime the chance to meet the criminal who offended against them to get answers and move on from the experience.
Almost 2000 cases of shoplifting are reported each month and now the South Yorkshire Police has set up a new campaign to tackle high street thefts. But shop owners have told Calendar they're concerned that the true scale of the criminals' activity could be much bigger than the official police figures suggest. David Hirst reports.
A 51-year-old man has been jailed for 23 years after being convicted of committing 43 sexual offences against boys during the 1980s and 1990s.
Darren Swift, of Lawrence Road in Telford, went on trial in October last year charged with a number of sexual offences.
A jury found Swift guilty of 26 counts of indecent assault, 12 counts of indecency and five counts of buggery after a two-week trial.
Today at Sheffield Crown Court he was jailed for 23 years for the offences.
The offences spanned a 17-year period between 1980 and 1997 in Rotherham, while Swift worked at various local sporting clubs and youth groups.
The charges relate to four boys who were aged between eight and 14 while the abuse took place.
Each victim was subjected to years of abuse by this man who held several positions of trust for various community groups, where he met and effectively groomed these vulnerable young boys for his own sexual gratification. I again pay tribute to the victims who had the courage to come forward and disclose their ordeal to police. Because Swift continually denied his guilt, each victim was forced to relive their traumatic experience in front of a jury, which is further testament to their strength of character. I hope that for the victims, this marks the conclusion of years of torment for them and their families and they can now begin to move forward with their lives knowing their abuser is behind bars. South Yorkshire Police is committed to tackling child sexual abuse and bringing offenders to justice. We would urge anyone who has concerns about a child at risk, or who wishes to report abuse, to come forward and report this dreadful crime.
Police in South Yorkshire were warned of a "very entrenched sexual exploitation problem" in Sheffield almost a decade ago, it is reported.Read the full story ›
South Yorkshire Police is facing fresh claims that officers did not properly investigate allegations of sexual abuse in Sheffield.
MPs have called for a probe into the force, which is also under fire for abuse uncovered in Rotherham. It's claimed officers knew hundreds of girls were at risk of sexual exploitation.
The force says it always arrests, investigates and charges offenders if there is enough evidence.
The Police and Crime Commissioner for South Yorkshire says finding out more about the past is a "crucial step" in getting the force to a "better place".
Dr Alan Billings was reacting to fresh claims that South Yorkshire Police was aware of, but did not fully investigate, claims that hundreds of children were at risk of sexual exploitation in the city.
This represents further criticism of South Yorkshire Police. I was elected in November to hold the Force to account, but I am not confident that we know everything that should be known about the past – which is the crucial first step for the Force to get itself into a better place. Steps are being taken to address these issues and I recently announced an extra 62 officers for the Public Protection Unit where issues of child abuse are investigated. Since my appointment in November I have spent time with victims, survivors and their families to try to understand their frustrations. I have been listening to their stories and experiences. This is already providing me with information I am communicating to South Yorkshire Police in order to help them address the areas they need to improve. If anyone has any information to help identify perpetrators of child sexual exploitation, or would like to talk about their experiences as an employee of the Force, I would ask them to come forward. They will be listened to and taken seriously.