Live updates

Terminally ill man who killed wife and daughter jailed

A pensioner from South Yorkshire suffering from incurable cancer has been jailed for life for killing his wife and daughter.

Peter Redfern, from Wath-upon-Dearne, pleaded guilty to the attacks on his wife Jean, 67, and daughter Sarah, 33, on the first day of his trial.

The 70-year-old rang the police from his home after he had strangled his wife and then attacked Sarah from behind with a hammer after she had returned from work.

Two months earlier the retired gas fitter had been diagnosed with incurable bone cancer and as a result was taking a combination of drugs which lead him to become depressed.

The court had accepted a plea of manslaughter with diminished responsibility for the killing of his wife, due to his depression which can lead to "impulsive conduct and impairment of judgment".

For the killing of his wife, Redfern was sentenced to 12 years and for the murder of his daughter he received a life sentence with a minimum term of 17 years, to be served concurrently.

Tribute to mother and daughter at funeral

The family of two women who were found dead at their home in Wath near Rotherham have paid tribute to a loving and caring mother and daughter. The funeral of Jean and Sarah Redfern was held today.

Jean and Sarah Redfern Credit: family photo

Jean’s brother and sister-in-law have paid tribute to their sister and niece saying:

“Our family are deeply affected by the sudden deaths of Jean and Sarah. They were private and well respected members of the community as well as loving, caring and generous people.”

Jean’s sister-in-law added: “Both Jean and Sarah were extremely thoughtful and shared a love of shopping and holidays in Whitby. They were both so welcoming and will be sadly missed by the whole family.”

70-year-old Peter Redfern, has been charged with two counts of murder.


Double murder: family statement

The family of the mother and daughter found murdered at their home in Wath-upon-Dearne have issued the following statement.

"“The family of Jean and Sarah are devastated by the news of their deaths. Jean was a much loved sister and aunt. Sarah was a wonderful, kind and loving niece and cousin.

We are at a loss to know why they died, but ask as a family that we are allowed to grieve and try to come to terms with what has happened.”

The Redfern family home in Sandygate Credit: Calendar news
Flowers left at the scene Credit: Calendar news

Man charged with murder of wife and daughter

A man has appeared in court charged with murdering his wife and daugther at their home in South Yorkshire. Peter Redfern, who's 70, appeared in the dock at Rotherham Magistrates Court for less than two minutes accused of the murders of Jean Redfern, who was 67, and his daughter Sarah Redfern, 33.

Their bodies were found at the family home in Sandygate, in Wath-upon-Dearne on Monday. There was no application for bail. District judge Jonathan Taff remanded him in custody until August 7th, when he will appear at Sheffield CrownCourt,

Man charged with arson after fires in South Yorkshire

A 22-year-old man has been arrested after a series of fires were reported in Wath-upon-Dearne, South Yorkshire, on Friday.

The local man is charged with nine counts of arson with intent to endanger life and has been remanded in custody to appear at Rotherham Magistrates' Court tomorrow morning.

The alleged offences were reported in the Winfield Road, Stump Cross Road and Saville Road. Nobody was injured but extensive damage was caused to property.

Detectives in Rotherham are still appealing for witnesses to come forward.

Anyone with information about the alleged arson offences should call South Yorkshire Police on 101 quoting incident number 61 of Friday.


Police name death crash man

South Yorkshire Police has identified the 18-year-old man who died in the Great North Road collision on Thursday, 20 December, 2012 as Luke Hardwick.

Luke was the passenger in a BMW 316 Compact as it collided with a white DAF large goods vehicle.

A one-year-old girl, from Wath, also travelling in the BMW suffered a life-threatening head injury, and is being treated in Sheffield Children’s Hospital.

The male driver of the BMW was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and bailed pending further enquiries.

Family pay tribute to shooting victim

Tyron Woodhead

The family of Tyron Woodhead who died after a shooting in Wath-upon-Dearne have released a statement.

"As a family we are devastated by Tyron's death, He battled on through for nearly a month before he died.

"He was so strong and loved by many people we cannot believe what has happened and our family will never be the same again.

“He was a great husband and dad to Shannon and his parents Jim and Jen miss him so very much.

“Our many friends and family have rallied round and helped us through this very difficult time. Thanks to all." Gill Woodhead, Tyron Woodhead's wife.

Second arrest in Wath shooting

A second man has been arrested over the shooting of a man in Wath-upon-Dearne.

42-year-old year old Tyrone Woodhead remains in a critical but stable condition in hospital following the shooting on 20 September.

Last night a 29-year-old man from Thurnscoe was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after being traced by police in Southport, Merseyside. He is currently in police custody.

Another man has been charged with attempted murder and separate charges of robbery and aggravated burglary.

Load more updates