Live updates

Inquest told gas safety device had been disconnected

The inquests into the deaths of children Christi and Bobby Shepherd from carbon monoxide poisoning at a holiday complex in Corfu have been told a gas safety device had been turned off on their bungalow water boiler probably just a day earlier.

Inquest told gas safety device had been disconnected Credit: ITV Yorkshire

Christi, who was seven and her six-year-old brother died in October 2006 when carbon monoxide fumes leaked into the bungalow they were staying in with their family.

The hearing in Wakefield was told there were four separate faults with the water boiler which the bungalow shared with a neighbouring property.

The day before the children fell ill, visitors staying in the adjacent bungalow complained that they had problems with their hot water supply, so maintenance men at the Louis Corcyra resort were sent to investigate.

The inquest was told that a gas safety device was disconnected - probably on the same day.

The evening of the next day, the children, their father Neil and his then partner and now wife Ruth fell ill.

The children died from CO fumes which had leaked from the faulty boiler into the bungalow. Neil and Ruth were left in a coma for several days.

The hearing continues.

Advertisement

Woman found dead in Keighley thought to be local

Detectives investigating the death of a woman from Keighley have said she is believed to be from the local area and around 60-years-old.

Her body was found in bushes at the rear of a house at Vernon Court in the town on Sunday at around 3.55pm.

We are continuing to investigate the circumstances of this ladies death today and a post mortem will be conducted.

Forensic officers have been conducting enquiries at the scene and we have speaking with residents and neighbours in the area as we seek to build up a picture of what took place.

The death is currently been treated as unexplained pending further enquires to determine if there are any suspicious circumstances or not."

– Det Chief Insp Steve Snow, West Yorkshire Police

Expert engineer: Plumes of deadly gas leaked into holiday bungalow

An engineer has told an inquest into the deaths of two young children from carbon monoxide that plumes of the deadly gas leaked into the holiday bungalow where they were staying with their family because a water boiler was faulty.

Bobbi and Christi Shepherd

Christi Shepherd, aged seven and her six-year-old brother Bobby died in October 2006 when they were overcome by fumes on a family holiday to Corfu.

Engineering expert Thomas Magner, who examined the bungalow's water boiler found it was badly corroded and lacked a chimney or flue which would have harmlessly sent the gas into the atmosphere. Instead the poisonous fumes saturated the bedroom of the bungalow.

Bobby and Christi died, their father Neil and his then partner and now wife Ruth were overcome and were left comatose for several days.

Coroner: Happy holiday became 'most appalling tragedy'

An inquest has resumed into the deaths of two West Yorkshire children who died from carbon monoxide poisoning on a family holiday in Corfu almost nine years ago.

Christi and Bobby Shepherd who died from carbon monoxide poisoning

Christi Shepherd, seven, and her six-year-old brother Bobby died while on holiday on the Greek island with their dad, Neil, and his then partner, and now wife, Ruth in October 2006.

Neil Shepherd today wiped tears from his eyes as the events were outlined in court.

The West Yorkshire Coroner David Hinchliff told an inquest jury:"What should have been a very happy and relaxing half-term break became the most appalling tragedy."

The hearing was told that the family from Horbury, near Wakefield, had been staying at a bungalow at the Louis Corcyra hotel complex - a holiday which had been booked through the tour operator Thomas Cook.

On the evening of October 25, 2006, all the family were taken sick in the bungalow.

The next morning a chamber maid found the family inside the bungalow - Bobby and Christi were dead, Ruth and Neil were both gravely ill in a coma.

An investigation by a pathologist in Greece found the children had died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Coroner told jurors that it was suspected that the CO poisoning was caused by a water boiler which served the bungalow and which had been incorrectly installed, leading to fumes entering the apartment.

The inquest continues.

Advertisement

Man found seriously injured near Leeds train station dies

A man found seriously injured near Leeds train station has died in hospital.

Billy Jacob Mankelow Credit: British Transport Police

Billy Jacob Makelow, who was 20 and from Kent but lived in the Hyde Park area of the city, suffered serious head injuries after being assaulted in the city on Saturday April 25.

A 31-year-old man from Leeds was arrested on suspicion of murder yesterday. He remains in police custody while enquiries into Billy’s death continue.

Inquest over children's carbon monoxide deaths resumes

The inquest into the deaths of two schoolchildren who were killed by carbon monoxide poisoning will resume today.

Christi and Bobby Shepherd who died from carbon monoxide poisoning

Bobby and Christi Shepherd, were 6 and 7-years-old when they died eight years ago after the gas from a faulty boiler seeped into their holiday chalet in Corfu.

Woman's body found in Keighley

Police are investigating after the body of a woman was found this afternoon in Keighley.

Officers were called by the ambulance service to Vernon Court, Keighley at about 3.55pm after a member of the public found the body of a woman in bushes at the rear of properties there.

Emergency services are on scene and initial enquiries are under way to investigate the death and determine whether or not there are any suspicious circumstances.

Load more updates