Police have arrested a man on suspicion of manslaughter after a climber fell to his death in North Yorkshire. Officers were called around 12.40pm on Friday July 18, 2014 to reports that a man had fallen from a cliff in the Kettleness and Runswick Bay area. He was taken to hospital but pronounced dead.
An investigation is underway after a climber fell to his death in North Yorkshire. Officers were called around 12.40pm on Friday July 18, 2014 to reports that a man had fallen from a cliff in the Kettleness and Runswick Bay area. The injured man, was airlifted to James Cook Hospital in Middlesborough where he was pronounced dead. Officers are appealing to walkers who were in the area at the time to contact them.
"This is a tragic incident involving two climbers who appear to have got into difficulty, resulting in the death of one of them. A full investigation is underway to establish exactly what happened. The family of the dead man are being supported by specially trained officers at this time.”
A man, in his twenties from the Whitby area, has been arrested in connection with the incident. He has been released on bail.
Police have released CCTV images after a collection box for premature babies was stolen.Read the full story ›
No carbon monoxide (CO) alarm was fitted on a fishing boat on which the two crewmen were found dead in their bunks, a marine accident report has said.
Mark Arries, 26, and Edward Ide, 21, both died of CO poisoning on the fishing vessel Eshcol at Whitby in North Yorkshire on January 15 this year.
The pair had left the grill of a butane-fuelled gas cooker lit when they went to bed. The grill was being used to warm the wheelhouse and sleeping area, said the report from the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB).
The MAIB, which had published an interim report into the tragedy earlier this year, said in today's report:
:: The metal gauze in the grill was holed and corroded, causing extraordinarily high levels of CO emissions;
:: The cooker was four years old and had probably never been serviced;
:: The wheelhouse door and windows were closed and the sleeping area had no other means of ventilation;
:: No carbon monoxide alarm was fitted;
:: Neither the guidance for the installation of gas appliances on board small fishing vessels nor the cooker manufacturer's instructions had been followed when the cooker was fitted;
:: Prior to the accident, the deceased were extremely tired and cold;
:: The vessel was not equipped for overnight sleeping and the heaters provided on board did not work or were damaged;
:: The management of the vessel was ineffective.
The MAIB said recommendations had been made to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency which were intended to ensure that the accommodation areas in all small fishing vessels were fitted with a CO alarm.
MAIB chief inspector Steve Clinch said: "This is one of several fatal accidents recently investigated by the MAIB where fishermen or leisure boat occupants have been poisoned by carbon monoxide.
"Clearly, more needs to be done to raise awareness of the sources of the gas, its dangers and the precautions that must be taken.
"There is no question that the fitting of CO alarms in the accommodation areas of all small vessels would help to prevent further similar tragedies from occurring in the future."
Whitby police are appealing for information after the theft of an all terrain vehicle near the town.
Officers believe it was taken on April 28 from the outbuilding of a cottage in Goathland. It is a Polaris Sportsman, six wheeled, all terrain vehicle with a trailer. Together they are valued at around £4,000.
Power tools including a nail gun and drills were also stolen.
PC Neil Graham, of Whitby Safer Neighbourhood Team, said: "The stolen ATV is highly distinctive as it has six wheels and I am sure that anyone who has seen it will remember the vehicle.
"If you can help to locate the Polaris Sportsman or any of the other stolen property, I urge you to contact the police straight away."
The sister of a fisherman who died calls for carbon monoxide detectors to be made compulsory on all vesselsRead the full story ›
The Humber Coastguard is again urging people to check the weather and tides before heading out after two people were rescued when cut off by the tide in Whitby. The coastguard were alerted by a member of the public who reported that two people were in trouble in Saltwick Nab.
The Whitby Coastguard Rescue Team, the Whitby RNLI lifeboat and the search and rescue helicopter from RAF Leconfield were sent to the scene. When they got there, they found two people were attempting to climb up the cliff away from the rising water.
They were winched on board the helicopter and taken to the top of the cliff where they were met by Coastguard Rescue Officers. They weren’t hurt. There was also a similar rescue in Wells in Norfolk Mike Green, Watch Manager at Humber Coastguard, said all four had had a lucky escape.
We were able to send units to their rescue quickly, and ensure they were brought back to dry land safely. We always advise people to check the weather and tidal conditions before setting out. You need to consider whether you could end up cut off by the incoming tide. Also, please don’t attempt to climb cliffs as a short cut back to the top, as you could hurt yourself in the process. “If you are in trouble, or spot someone else in difficulty, call 999 and ask for the Coastguard.”
A 31-year-old local man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a man was stabbed outside a pub near Whitby. It follows an altercation outside the Hare and Hounds pub in Hawsker, near Whitby at around 10pm on Sunday 20 April.
North Yorkshire Police say a 30-year-old man from Derbyshire is in a stable condition at James Cook University Hospital, in Middlesbrough. He has had surgery for stab wounds to his body. An area outside the pub was cordoned off for a forensic examination. Police are appealing for witnesses.
Police marksmen have shot dead a cow which escaped from a livestock market near Whitby.
The animal is understood to have jumped across a barrier at the market in the village of Ruswarp yesterday afternoon.
North Yorkshire Police say the animal was out of control and posed a danger to the public.
Dr George Rae of the British Medical Associatio
n has been talking to ITV about a new skype service for patients being offered by GPS in Whitby as part of a government trial.