The A60 at Holbeck in Worksop has been closed in both directions due to an accident.
It happened near to Notcutts Garden Centre.
Motorists are being urged to avoid the area.
Concern is growing for a 16-year-old who is missing from her home in Worksop. Shannon Roper has not been seen or heard from since Tuesday 18 August. Police say she has not been missing before and they think she could have travelled to the Chesterfield area.
She was last seen wearing black leggings with a grey and white stripe up the front of the leg, a short sleeved round neck t-shirt in black with black netting around the shoulders, and white and blue Nike trainers that have a pink Swoosh motif.
If anyone believes they have seen Shannon or know where she is they should telephone Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 750 of 22 August.
A grieving widower has hit out after incurring a £160 charge - for standing for too long at his wife's grave after her burial.
Heartbroken Frank Blades had not felt ready to leave the graveside of his wife, Violet, who had passed away suddenly just months after being diagnosed with cancer.
The pensioner was told there was "no rush" to leave Hannah Park Cemetery in Worksop and spent just 20 minutes at the cemetery after the burial.
But when Frank received the bill for his late wife's funeral from Hopkinson’s Funeral Directors, he was shocked to notice a hefty £160 charge on top of his £6,000 burial fee.
“Losing someone you love dearly is devastating enough without being charged for wanting to grieve with your family.
“After the service, I was told that there was no rush and that this was my time. I didn’t feel ready to leave the cemetery immediately so I stayed at Violet’s graveside for a while.
“Because we had been told there was no rush, me and my family also walked round for a bit visiting the graves of relatives.”
After receiving the bill, Frank was later told by Hopkinson’s that this was a council fee issued when gravediggers are ‘required to work beyond their contracted hours’.
“I was upset when I found out the reason behind the fee because I had been told I could take as much time as I wanted.
“I feel like the council were trying to cash in on what has been a very difficult time for me and my family.
“I didn’t have the energy to challenge the fee because I had just buried my partner, and I paid it without a fuss.
“But a couple of days later, I started to think about it more and I got really angry about it.
“Money means nothing to me- it won’t bring Violet back. But I want to warn others about the issue because when you’ve said goodbye to a loved one this is the last thing you want.”
Bassetlaw Council confirmed that the fee had been implemented but added that it was Hopkinson’s Funeral Directors who had been charged and not Mr Blades.
Liz Prime, head of neighbourhoods at Bassetlaw District Council, said: “Firstly, we would like to pass on our condolences to Mr Blades and his family. To clarify the situation, this fee was charged to Hopkinson’s Funeral Directors due to a late arrival at the cemetery and, to our surprise, they appear to have passed this fee on to Mr Blades."
“When a burial is booked by the funeral director they are asked to provide the time of the church service, along with an arrival time at the cemetery.
“On this occasion the funeral party arrived at the cemetery 45 minutes after the time stated, and in turn, this delayed the process of council staff completing the burial, which took them beyond their contracted hours.
“As a burial authority it is important that we ensure the privacy of every funeral and that no two funerals take place at the same time. The onus is on the respective Funeral Director to ensure that each ceremony runs smoothly and on schedule.
“All funeral directors were notified of the Council’s new fees and charges well in advance of them being introduced in April. In this time the ‘charge for late cemetery arrival’ has only been enforced twice.
“All our cemeteries are open until 8pm in the summer and the Funeral Directors were not penalised because Mr Blades spent additional time in Hannah Park Cemetery visiting other family graves.”
“We will be contacting both parties to explain the reasons for the charge.”
“We incurred a charge of £160 from Bassetlaw District Council due to their gravediggers working beyond their contracted hours when our client wished to visit other family graves following the funeral.
“As with any third-party fee that we pay on behalf of our clients this was included in our final invoice.
“Our funeral director remained at the cemetery with our client until he was ready to return home, for which we did not charge.”
Father Nicholas Spicer, of the Priory Church, said he sympathised with the family and blamed a ‘breakdown in communcation’ between Bassetlaw Council and Hopkinson’s.
A60 Mansfield Road at Worksop is closed in both directions due to a accident.
It happened between A57/B6024 Newcastle Avenue and A619.
Police are warning motorists of heavy traffic and delays.
Police in Worksop are on the lookout for a 6-feet tall ostrich-like bird.
Officers were called just after 5pm this evening to a report of the rhea – a 6ft tall flightless bird native to South America – being reported missing from a private collection in Carlton-in-Lindrick.
The bird is understood to have gone missing between 5pm on Monday 22 June and 12pm on Tuesday 23 June 2015.
We are warning local people and particularly those with small children to be on their guard and not to approach the bird, which poses a very real threat to the public due to its size, aggressive nature and the unfamiliar surroundings it could find itself in. Officers are working with the owner to trace the bird as we look to bring his incident to a safe conclusion. If anyone sees this bird, please call 999 immediately, quoting incident number 601 of Tuesday 23 June.
A vet has called for action after two cats were shot with an air rifle in the Kilton area of WorksopRead the full story ›
A veterinary practice in Worksop has branded the actions of a person who is shooting cats with an air rifle as sickening and evil.
Two pets have now been taken for emergency treatment in the Kilton area, after their owners discovered them with bullet wounds.
Suzhy Winfield says the shootings must stop:
A man has admitted killing his own parents in a "frenzied, prolonged" knife attack.
Kamil Dantes, 29, pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of his parents, Leszek Dantes and his wife Malgorzata Dantes on the grounds of diminished responsibility. He will be sentenced at a later date.
The 54-year-olds’ bodies were discovered at around 6am on Monday 21 April 2014 in the upstairs front bedroom of the family home in Hardwick Road East in Worksop.
The Dantes each had around thirty stab wounds.
Mrs Dantes was Mr Dantes' full time carer, after the 54-year-old was diagnosed with a brain tumour and became reliant on a wheelchair.
In recent years relatives had noticed changes in Kamil’s behaviour, with him becoming more and more negative towards them. This appeared to be aggravated by reported use of steroids and cannabis.
He was detained under the Mental Health Act for two weeks in 2011 after reporting to police that his parents were dead.
Since then he had been on medication and closely monitored.
Inspectors say the couple could not have predicted what their son might do.
Kamil subjected his parents to a frenzied, prolonged attack on that April morning without any provocation. Caught unaware, they had no time to fight back and certainly his father, who struggled to walk, had no means of escape. They trusted him, they supported him and this is how he repaid them. This incident has understandably taken its toll on their relatives, some of whom remain in Worksop. They asked that their privacy be respected to allow them the space and time to process what has happened to their family and find a way to continue on with their lives without them.
Two golfers from our region start their opening rounds in the Masters at Augusta this afternoon.
Sheffield's Danny Willet tees off just after 4pm, with Worksop's Lee Westwood getting his round underway at 5:30pm.
Nottinghamshire Police has confirmed an inquiry is underway to investigate a number of allegations of historic abuse affecting ten former children's homes or residential premises in the County of Nottinghamshire.
The Operation Xeres team is investigating a small number of complaints of historic physical, emotional, mental and sexual abuse reported by people who were in care for a variety of reasons, but who are now adults.
The inquiry is looking at allegations dating between 1940 and the 1990s at Skegby Hall, the former Whatton Young Offenders Institution, Repton Lodge in Worksop, Laybrook in Mansfield, Berry Hill Open Air School in Mansfield, The Ridge in Mansfield, Amberdale in Stapleford, Ashley House in Worksop, South Collingham Hall, and Cauldwell House in Southwell.
None of the allegations relate to the premises' current use.