The Yorkshire game of knurr and spell goes back hundreds of years and some believe it pre-dates golf.Read the full story ›
Royal Mail is issuing six special stamps to mark the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain.
A Royal Mail van from Birch Park delivery office, near RAF Boulmer, will feature an image of one of the stamps along with a selection of other locations close to RAF.
The Battle of Britain took place over the summer and autumn of 1940 and saw the Royal Air Force and the German Luftwaffe contest the world’s first independent and decisive air campaign in the skies over England. The Battle of Britain would change the course of the Second World War – and with it, the course of history.
The six stamps feature photographs from this period, showing some of the many aspects of the battle and the service personnel involved, including pilots, ground crew, observers and Operations Room staff.
Organisers of the Great Yorkshire Show - which attracts thousands of visitors from all over the country, are hoping for a record-breaking year for the farming extravaganza, which in its 157th year.
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall were the star guests today, our reporter Chris Kiddey was there too:
Victoria Whittam also witnessed the sights of the show:
Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.
Yorkshire born celebrity chef Brian Turner is asking people to think twice about throwing food away when it can be re-used in other dishes
Reporter Steve Clamp went to meet the chefs, as a challenge was thrown down to create something from a bag of leftovers, including bananas, yoghurt and cola.
It's been a year since hundreds of thousands of people lined the streets of Yorkshire to watch the world famous cycling race the Tour de France. To mark the anniversary a charity is using some of the amazing memories created over that weekend to help people with dementia as Sarah Clark reports.
It is exactly a year since Yorkshire hosted Le Grand Départ of the Tour de France. The first anniversary is being marked with a celebration at Leeds Town Hall. Tour makers are recording stories of the event for The Sporting Memories network. The charity uses sporting memories to help improve the wellbeing of people with dementia. During the Tour de France, they ran dementia-friendly spectator hubs around the region.
The Freedom of Leeds will be exercised by 200 soldiers from 2nd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment, and the 4th Battalion - the Reserve battalion later today.
The parade of Regular and Reserve soldiers, Army cadets and veterans will march through the city, with bayonets fixed, colours flying, and to the music of the Yorkshire Regiment band.
Following the parade there will be a drumhead service in Millennium Square.
There are many events taking place today to celebrate Armed Forces Day across the region. Here are some:
- BERWICK-UPON-TWEED - A weekend of exhibitions, talks, demonstrations and historical re-enactments celebrating the centuries-old military heritage of Berwick-upon-Tweed.
- CATTERICK - Catterick Garrison Families Day - aimed to celebrate the work of the Armed Forces and strengthen the bond between the military and civilian community.
- COLDSTREAM - Honour Our Troops will help you paint your very own Poppy Jars for Armsitice Night.
- HARROGATE - In partnership with Bettys, the Petal to Pot Summer Garden Party celebrates the quintessential tradition of tea and cake.
- RIPON - the whole of the Ripon market square will be filled with static displays from veterans and cadets of all three Services; a Sea Cadet marching band, breach a minefield with the Army Cadets, a Drill display by the Air Cadets.
- SCARBOROUGH - North Sea Yacht Race from Scarborough - an event paying tribute to veterans of World War Two.
- SEAHAM - Seaham Armed Forces Day will be held in Seaham Town Park.
- STOCKTON-ON-TEES - Castle Street will be closed off for a military parade.
- SUNDERLAND - Military Parade and Union Flag Waving Concert.
- WIDDRINGTON near MORPETH - Marching the Royal British Legion Standard accompanied by a Piper from Widdrington Barracks.
- YORK - events at the Black Bull Hotel including bouncy castle, face painting, hook a duck and tombola.