With more rain forecast across the region, bringing possible flood warnings North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service are advising drivers to take extra precautions.
- Drive slowly.
- Double the distance between you and the car in front.
- Be wary that spray from other vehicles may reduce visibility.
There is the possibility rivers will burst their banks and result in flash floods. This can happen without warning, making conditions dangerous and difficult. It should be avoided if at all possible.
- Do not drive through floodwater unless you are sure of its depth
- Drive in the middle of the road where it will be the shallowest.
- Allow oncoming traffic to pass through first and wait for the water to settle before you start to go through.
- Keep the revs high to avoid water being taken in through the exhaust.
- Test your brakes as soon as possible after driving through the flood.