Steve Prescott's latest challenge

Former rugby player Steve Prescott starts his latest challenge today - he's running across the Humber Bridge, before cycling and swimming, and finally and canoeing to Old Trafford where he'll present the matchball for Saturday's Grand Final.

View all 7 updates ›

Steve Prescott released from hospital

Steve Prescott has been released from hospital after his admission on Monday. The former rugby league player was taken to hospital complaining of severe stomach pains following his completion of the 48 hour Race to the Grand Final charity challenge.

Doctors performed a number of tests and established that the challenge had left Steve significantly drained and considerably lacking in natural fuels and fluids causing his bowel to stop functioning properly. However, he has responded well to treatment and will now return home to recuperate.

He is already planning his next challenge to raise money for the Steve Prescott Foundation. Steve, who was diagnosed with a rare form of abdominal cancer in 2006, will meet with his specialist in a few weeks and may have to undertake a course of proactive chemotherapy.

I would like to thank everyone for their support and messages over the past few days, it really does mean a lot and I am very grateful. These events give me focus and the fitness helps with my condition. I am looking forward to getting back in the gym, but I will have a couple of days’ rest! What I have been through this week is not a first for me. It is something which happens and I have learnt to deal with over the past few years as part of my illness.

Most people only see me when I am doing well, but unfortunately, I still have remaining disease which presents hurdles which I have to overcome. This was just one of them. It is unfortunate that it has happened so soon after the event, causing it to be highlighted, but I suppose this is the reality of living with cancer. I will stay positive and I'm sure I will come back stronger"

– Steve Prescott

More top news