City of Lincoln Council have revealed the levels of legionella bacteria found at a sheltered housing block in Lincoln were almost 12 times the safe level.
The council also says the water system is only checked every six months. They're now chemically flushing out the system, and say it's entirely a precautionary measure.
Legionella can cause Legionnaire's disease if it becomes airborne and water particles are inhaled.
Elderly residents have been told not to turn their taps on and have been provided with bottled water and off site washing facilities.
More top news
A convicted arsonist with a history of starting fires has been cleared of burning down what was formerly the Majestyk nightclub in Leeds.
From today it is illegal to take legal highs in Lincoln. Councillors say it will reduce antisocial behaviour but some say it will not work.
Monty Python star Michael Palin and one half of comedy duo Morcambe and Wise have been honoured on stamps released for April Fool's.