Woman leaps to safety from blazing house

A woman broke her leg as she escaped from a burning house by jumping from an upstairs window.

She was one of three people who escaped from a blaze in King Edward Avenue, Horsforth, Leeds, in the early hours of Christmas Day.

Three fire crews were sent to the blaze following reports that people were trapped in the property.

But, on arrival, the firefighters found a man and two women had managed to get out of the semi-detached house without help.

"The two female occupants had jumped to safety from a first-floor window," said a spokesman for the West Yorkshire Fire Service.

"All the casualties were suffering from smoke inhalation. One of the women had a suspected broken leg."

All three occupants were taken to hospital.