New figures show that crime has fallen by 10% in North Yorkshire over the past year. This is 3,963 fewer victims of crime compared to the previous 12 months, with a total of 36,050 crimes.
- 39% reduction in robbery
- 14% reduction in burglaries
- 10% reduction in theft
- 7% reduction in violence
- 12% reduction in offences against motor vehicles
- 14% reduction in criminal damage
- 13% reduction in drug offences
However, there was an increase in some crimes.
- 1% increase in sexual offences
- 21% increase in fraud and forgery
- 16% increase in other crimes
– Julia Mulligan, the Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire
Crime reduction and protecting victims is at the very heart of my Police and Crime Plan.
The latest crime figures are therefore very encouraging and provide a key indication that North Yorkshire Police and local partner organisations are working together very well.
My aim is to drive further improvements in the service delivered by North Yorkshire Police, do even more to help victims of crime and anti-social behaviour, and improve the quality of life in our communities.”