British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond has tweeted to say that his thoughts are "with all those on board AirAsia flight QZ8501".
My thoughts are with the family and friends of all those on board Air Asia flight QZ 8501.
One Briton is known to be among the passengers on the missing aircraft - which lost contact during a flight between Indonesia and Singapore.
The brother of a British man on board the missing AirAsia flight has reportedly said his family is "preparing for the worst".
Chi Man Choi, who is believed to live in Singapore with his family, took a different flight to his wife due to work commitments.
His brother Chi Choi, who lives in Cheshire, told the Daily Mirror: "I believe the reason they didn't fly out together was because of his work schedule. "His wife and son flew first. I spoke to his wife and she fears the worst".
AirAsia released a statement which said it is providing whatever support it can to all those affected.
"AirAsia Indonesia's primary focus remains on the families and Sunu Widyatmoko, Chief Executive Officer of AirAsia Indonesia is currently stationed at the family centre in Surabaya, it said.
"We have been keeping the families updated on the search and rescue efforts as well as provide emotional support. Another group of AirAsia officials are providing the same to the families based in Singapore."
The family of a British man on board the missing AirAsia flight have said they are "preparing for the worst".
Chi-Man Choi, who was born in Hull and lived in Singapore, was on board the aeroplane with his two year old daughter.
His wife and son had taken a different flight.
A man was stopped and arrested on the M62 in West Yorkshire in connection with the theft of historcial artefacts from a concentration camp cemetery in the Czech Republic
Officers from West Yorkshire Police's Safer Roads and Neighbourhood Support team arrested a 35-year-old man in connection with the theft of over 800 bronze plaques bearing the names of those that died at a Nazi concentration camp in the Czech Republic.
The man, a Czech natonal, was arrested after a Nissan Micra vehicle he was driving was stopped by officers on the eastbound carriageway of the M62 near to Birstall Retail Park on Sunday, December 21..
After the man's details were run through the Police National Computer, officers discovered a European Arrest Warrant had been issued in connection with theft offences in the Czech Republic, which took place in 2008, and the man was taken into custody, where he remains pending extradition proceedings.
The arrested man is one of three men sought by the authorities in the Czech Republic in connection with the theft of 824 bronze name plaques that were stolen from graves in what is now a national cemetery in the town of Terezín.
The cemetery forms part of the infamous Theresienstadt concentration camp in which thousands of people died, including a high number of children.
‘‘This was a comprehensive piece of police work that has led to a wanted man being taken into custody in connection with a very serious crime in another country for which he will now stand trial.
‘‘I believe this man has lived in different parts of the UK for some time and his arrest in West Yorkshire demonstrates the professional approach our officers take to their job and I'm pleased we've been able to play a small part of the investigation into what was an appalling crime.’’
The Foreign Office said it expected the trial of two Burmese men accused of murdering British tourists Hannah Witheridge and David Miller in Thailand to be "fair and transparent".
We continue to monitor the case closely and expect the trial to be conducted in a fair and transparent way in line with international standards. The British government cannot interfere with Thailand's judicial processes just as other government's are unable to interfere in UK judicial processes.
We continue to provide support and assistance to both the families of Hannah Witheridge and David Miller.
The trial of two men charged with the murder of two British tourists in Thailand has begun, it has been reported.
Win Zaw Htun and Zaw Lin, both 21, deny killing 24-year-old David Miller, from Jersey, and 23-year-old Hannah Witheridge, from Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.
The Britons' bodies were found on September 15 on a Koh Tao beach.
The trial of the two migrant workers from Burma had been scheduled to begin in February, but it has been brought forward unexpectedly, the BBC reported.
Selfless Donna Wood from Staffordshire has left her husband and children at home so she can help save lives in Sierra Leone.Read the full story ›
Bradford Bulls have signed former Hull and Wigan front-rower Epalahame Lauaki on a two-year contract.
The 30-year-old former New Zealand and Tonga international joins the relegated Bulls from NRL side Manly Sea Eagles, where he spent the majority of last season after leaving Wigan
"Epalahame is an extremely talented individual and we are really pleased to have secured his services.
"He has an explosive approach and comes with an ability to wreak havoc in short spells.
"Epalahame gives us something I believe we don't currently have. He certainly adds to an already impressive squad and will prove vital for some of our young and upcoming forwards.
"We have a young roster, so the experience he brings will certainly help aid the future progress of the likes of Dan Fleming, Samir Tahraoui and Karl Davies."
The 6ft, near-18st Lauaki, who twice played against England for the Exiles during his stint in Super League, becomes the 30th member of the Bulls squad for the 2015 Championship campaign.
"I am so excited to be joining such a big and well-known club like Bradford.
"I believe I will bring some experience and toughness to our team and I cannot wait to get started.
"The Championship is a challenge I am looking forward to. We will be going up against some good teams, who will be certainly looking forward to playing us.
"There is a really solid squad in place at Bradford but I want to be in the 17, which means I have plenty of hard work ahead of me."
A memorial garden has been unveiled in Whitby to mark 100 years since German warships shelled the town.Read the full story ›
Commemorations are taking place in Scarborough, Hartlepool and Whitby 100 years after the towns were devastated by the German bombardment.Read the full story ›