A second person has died after an outbreak of Legionnaires disease in Stoke-on-Trent.
A man in his seventies who was being treated at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire died on Saturday.
The total number of confirmed cases is now 20, but 16 of those have now been discharged from hospital.
A hospital spokesperson said:
“We can confirm that a man in his 70s has sadly died. Two further patients remain in hospital and are in a stable or improving condition.”
It follows the death of a patient from the disease on July 28th.
Health officials say the probable source of the outbreak was from a hot tub on display at the JTF Discount Warehouse in Fenton in Stoke on Trent.
The Health Protection Agency, who are investigating the source of the outbreak, believe that those who were infected had visited the store two weeks before they became ill.
It's thought people inhaled the bacteria from the hot tub which was on display near the entrance of the warehouse.
People become infected when they inhale legionella bacteria which have been released into the air from a contaminated source.
Once in the lungs the bacteria multiply and cause either pneumonia or a less serious flu like illness.
For more information on the illness, click here.