Two babies have died as a result of a rare infection at a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire in Stoke-on-Trent.
A spokesperson for the hospital said the premature infants, who were both born before 28 weeks, died in July.
Post-mortem examinations found they died after contracting the Serratia Marcescens infection which is harmful to babies which are born prematurely.
The Chief Executive of the University of North Staffordshire NHS Trust said:
The unit was closed at the time for a deep clean to rid it of traces of the bacteria. The hospital say there were no further cases of infection or of babies carrying the organism since the initial cases were first identified in July.
A spokesperson for the hospital said:
The hospital said the Health protection Agency confirmed an outbreak at the hospital at the time and have since been carrying out weekly screenings on the Neonatal intensive care unit.
The trust is also reassuring parents of patients who've been treated at the unit not to worry.