The RSPCA is warning pet owners in a Nottinghamshire village to be vigilant after a series of suspicious cat deaths.
Over the last month three cats in Bilsthorpe have died after ingesting anti-freeze. Several othes have also gone missing.
Some pet owners believe the cats are being deliberately poisoned. Over the last two weeks Emma Davenport has lost two of her cats - Tatty-One and Tibby.
– Emma Davenport
"I took him to the vets, and the vets couldn't save him because he'd got kidney failure due to anti-freeze poisoning. And then just under a fortnight later Tibby was acting like she was drunk. And her pupils were huge. I took her straight to the vets and she died that night from kidney failure."
Initially, Mrs Davenport thought the deaths were accidental. But then more cats in the area began to die. Tests revealed they'd also ingested anti-freeze.
The RSPCA say the deaths are suspicious and disturbing. They're now asking people to check their gardens for any spilt anti-freeze, and are warning that even a small amount of the chemical ingested by an animal can result in a slow and agonising death.
If it's proved the cats were deliberately poisoned, those responsible could face a £20,000 fine or up to 6 months in prison.