Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Some cats in Nottingham are thought to have been poisoned with anti-freeze

Cats are thought to have been poisoned with anti-freeze Photo: ITV Central

The RSPCA is warning pet owners in a Nottinghamshire village to be vigilant after a series of suspicious cat deaths.

Over the last month three cats in Bilsthorpe have died after ingesting anti-freeze. Several othes have also gone missing.

Cats' eyes can become wider if they ingest anti-freeze Credit: ITV Central

Some pet owners believe the cats are being deliberately poisoned. Over the last two weeks Emma Davenport has lost two of her cats - Tatty-One and Tibby.

"I took him to the vets, and the vets couldn't save him because he'd got kidney failure due to anti-freeze poisoning. And then just under a fortnight later Tibby was acting like she was drunk. And her pupils were huge. I took her straight to the vets and she died that night from kidney failure."

– Emma Davenport

Initially, Mrs Davenport thought the deaths were accidental. But then more cats in the area began to die. Tests revealed they'd also ingested anti-freeze.

Cats at the RSPCA in Nottingham Credit: ITV Central

The RSPCA say the deaths are suspicious and disturbing. They're now asking people to check their gardens for any spilt anti-freeze, and are warning that even a small amount of the chemical ingested by an animal can result in a slow and agonising death.

If it's proved the cats were deliberately poisoned, those responsible could face a £20,000 fine or up to 6 months in prison.