Facts and figures about reported rape and serious sexual offences (RASSO):
- On average 40 RASSO's each week in the West Midlands.
- 42% of RASSO's take place in Coventry, Birmingham East and Birmingham West and Central.
- 51.2% of rapes reported to police are committed by an attacker who knows, but has not previously been in an intimate relationship with their victim.
- 43% of RASSO crimes are on female aged 13 or over.
- Six out of 10 sex offences are detected via a named offender.
- Domestic rapes account for 36.9% of all rapes, most commonly between former partners.
- Most crimes are reported within 24 hours of the offence taking place.
- Detection rates reduce by half if the offence is not reported in the first 24 hours.