1. ITV Report

Mother says authorities have "blood on their hands" after another crossing fatality

Jane Burton's son Kris was struck in 2004 as he cycled over the track near Hucknall Photo: ITV Central

A mother whose son was nearly killed by a tram at the same pedestrian crossing where a teenage girl died this week has accused the authorities of "having blood on their hands". Jane Burton's son Kris was struck in 2004 as he cycled over the track near Hucknall in Nottinghamshire.

Last Wednesday, 13 year old Lindsey Inger died after colliding with a tram as she and some friends were using the crossing.

It's the third fatality at the crossing since Mr Burton's accident eight years ago. In 2008, grandmother Jean Hoggart and her 7-year-old grandson Mikey were killed when they were hit by a train. Network Rail, who are responsible for the part of the crossing which traverses the train track, subsequently improved warning signs and lighting.

28-year-old Kris was nearly killed on the crossing in 2004 Credit: ITV Central

Speaking exclusively to ITV Central, Mrs Burton said the tram operators had been on notice that the crossing was unsafe ever since her son's near-fatal accident eight years ago. She called on the authorities to build a footbridge there.

Jean and her son Kris look at the flowers left for the 13-year-old girl killed at the same crossing on Wednesday Credit: ITV Central

Meanwhile, Jean Hoggart's widower, Laurence, said he had been shocked by yet another death at the crossing. However, he said he doubted there would be any improvements at the scene and predicted more fatal accidents in the future.

A spokesman for Tramlink which runs the tram network has said:

"We have launched our own internal inquiry into the incident and, of course, are co-operating fully with the police crash investigation team and the Rail Accident Investigation Branch."

– Tramlink

A Network Rail spokesman said:

"The tragic incident did not occur on Network Rail infrastructure but, as it is close to the railways, Network Rail is fully co-operating with the police investigation into this. Following the double fatality at the same site on 22 November 2008 a report by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch of the Department for Transport came forward with a number of safety recommendations. Network Rail has since implemented these recommendations.”

– Network Rail spokesman

More on this story