Market stall holder's in the Midlands have taken five of the 11 awards at this year's Markets of the Year Awards, including Birmingham's Frankfurt Christmas Market.
Communities Minister, Don Foster, presented awards to a host of UK towns for having the country’s best markets, at an event held in Birmingham.
The award winners were chosen by the National Association of British Market Authorities (NABMA), who have been helping the industry for 80 years.
Oswestry in Shropshire took Best Local Council Market; Walsall Night Market won Best Speciality Market; Mr Big in Market Rasen bagged Best Small Speciality Market; Swadlincotes Market in Derbyshire won Best Small Outdoor Market, and Birmingham's Frankfurt Christmas Market won Best Market Attraction.
Speaking at the event, the Minister highlighted the critical role markets can play in encouraging people to revisit their high streets and making them the beating hearts of their communities.
The winners of all 11 categories are:
- Best Local Council Market – Oswestry
- Best Market Attraction – Birmingham Christmas Market
- Best Speciality Market – Walsall Night Market
- Best Private Market – Brixton Village Market Row, London
- Best Small Speciality Market – Mr Big, Market Rasen
- Best Outdoor Market – Portobello and Golborne Road Market, London
- Best Small Outdoor Market – Swadlincotes Market and Farmers Market
- Best Indoor Market – Queen’s Gate Market, Huddersfield
- Best Small Indoor Market – Southport
- Best Wholesale Market – New Spittalfields, London
- Britain’s Favourite Market – Darlington