- 1st (County Championship Division Two)
- 4th in Group C (Clydesdale Bank 40)
- 5th in North Division (Friends Life T20)
- IN: Richard Johnson (Warwickshire), Billy Godleman (Essex)
- OUT: Jake Needham (retired), Garry Park (released), Matt Lineker (released), Hamza Siddique (released)
- OVERSEAS: Shivnarine Chanderpaul
YOUNG PLAYER TO WATCH:
ODDS TO WIN:
- 16/1 (County Championship)
- 50/1 (Yorkshire Bank 40)
- 28/1 (Friends Life T20)
According to the bookmakers, Derbyshire fans should prepare themselves for a long and frustrating season. The favourites to go straight back down to Division Two in the County Championship, The Falcons are not expected to make much noise in the shorter formats of the game either.
But the coaches have been shrewd in many of their appointments. Picking up former world number one batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul, who has an excellent record in England, could be an inspired move. Aside from his batting Chanderpaul will be looked upon to provide guidance for Derbyshire's talented youngsters including Dan Redfern and Ross Whiteley.
Perhaps the most exciting player could be Chesney Hughes, whose progress has stalled in recent seasons but still possesses a lot of raw talent.
Despite a decent top order, Derbyshire could struggle in the difficult early-season conditions in the middle order, which lacks experience. There is also a shortage of depth in both batting and fielding.
For Derbyshire this season is about concentrating on remaining in Division One and blooding in their academy youngsters. If they can achieve these targets they will consider it a successful season.