– Said during a speech in 1965
If you want something said, ask a man. If you want something done, ask a woman.
– Spoken as education secretary in 1973
I don't think there will be a woman prime minister in my lifetime.
– The year she becomes prime minister, 1979
Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country.
I don't mind how much my ministers talk, as long as they do what I say.
Nobody would remember the Good Samaritan if he had only good intentions. He had money as well.
– Conservative Party Conference, 10 October 1980
To those waiting with bated breath for that favourite media catchphrase, the U-turn, I have only one thing to say. You turn if you want to. The lady's not for turning.
– Start of the Falklands War, 1982
Defeat? I do not recognise the meaning of the word.
– Announce liberation of South Georgia during the Falklands War, 1982
Just rejoice at that news and congratulate our forces and the marines. Rejoice.
– Interview in "Women's Own", September 1987
There is no such thing as Society. There are individual men and women, and there are families.
– Said in an interview, April 1989
I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.
– In a House of Commons debate, 1990
The president of the [European] commission, Monsieur [Jacques] Delors, said at a press conference the other day that he wanted the European parliament to be the democratic body of the community, he wanted the commission to be the executive and he wanted the council of ministers to be the senate. No. No. No.
– The day before her resignation as prime minister following an inconclusive first ballot in the Tory leadership,
I fight on, I fight to win.
– Conservative Election Rally, May 2001
On my way here I passed a local cinema and it turns out you were expecting me after all, for the billboards read “The Mummy Returns”.
– During the unveiling of her statue at the House of Commons, February 2007
I might have preferred iron, but bronze will do. It won’t rust.