The 28th Leicester Caribbean Carnival takes place today between the city centre and Victoria Park.
The carnival aims to celebrate the diverse cultures in Leicester while placing an emphasis on Caribbean traditions.
Leicester City Council says it is one of the largest multicultural events in the East Midlands with 20,000 people expected to take part and attend.
Carnival day programme:
- 11:00 - Victoria Park opens to the public
- 12:30 - The opening ceremony takes place at Granville Road
- 13:00 - The street carnival is held featuring troupes and floats
- 14:00 - Main stage performances take place
- 16:30 - The street carnival returns from the city centre
- 20:00 - The carnival is expected to end
The carnival will start at Victoria Park, moving to the city centre before returning.
The route map can be seen here.
Bus service alterations:
- Many bus services in the city centre will be diverted to different stops from 13:30-16:30
- Coach services departing from St Margaret's Bus Station will not be affected
- Park and Ride services will continue to operate except for service 303 which will not serve Haymarket while the Parade is in the city centre
- Details for all bus service can be seen here