1. ITV Report

Mum warns of dangers after son swallows washing tab

A mother from the Black Country has described the moment her two-year-old son accidentally swallowed a liquid washing tablet as one of the scariest in her life.

Hayden Hodgkinson, who lives in Cradley Heath, was 22 months old when he accidentally swallowed the washing tablet when Roxanne Tomkinson's back was turned.

Hayden Hodgkinson with his mother Roxanne Tomkinson now Credit: ITV News Central

Roxanne spoke to ITV News Central as RoSPA (the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) launches a new campaign in Birmingham to urge parents to take extra caution when using and storing cleaning products.

An empty liquid tab similar to one Hayden swallowed Credit: ITV News Central/Chris Halpin

Around 60,000 families across the city are to get notepads with advice on preventing accidental poisonings.

Some of the advice includes:

  • Keep all vitamins and pills safe and away from children
  • Install child-resistant locks on cabinets - which are safer than "child-proof"
  • Store household cleaning products in a locked cupboard
  • DIY and gardening products should also be locked safely away
  • Never keep dangerous products in the fridge
  • If your child does swallow something dangerous, keep a sample of what they swallowed so health professionals have a better idea of how to help
  • Learn basic first aid

At the launch event at Birmingham Children's Hospital, one of its lead consultants Dr Ben Stanhope, discussed the potentially lethal consequences of accidentally ingesting chemicals.

Two-year-old Hayden Hogkinson made a full recovery Credit: ITV News Central/Chris Halpin

Luckily for Hayden, after having an upset tummy, he made a full recovery from drinking the washing liquid.

His mum Roxanne just wants to warn others of the dangers, after what she describes as one of the scariest moments in her life.