Midlands online retailers are preparing for what they call the biggest day for online shopping today, also known as Cyber Monday.
Online retailers from across the region will today reduce a significant number of items in price as they prepare for the Christmas rush.
Cyber Monday facts and figures
- Today could well be the busiest day ever for online shopping in the UK
- Online shopping is up 10.1% in 2013 compared to 2012, according to Barclaycard
- Half a billion expected to be spent by online shoppers
- The first Monday in December last year was the highest day of online spend in Barclaycard's history - consumers spent an average of £57 per transaction
- Online electronic stores - up 66.5%, online family clothing stores - up 35.4% and online department stores - up 31.5%, saw the biggest increases in spending
- Full Christmas sales estimated to be £72.2billion, an increase above 2% on last year, according to the Centre for Retail Research
- Visa Europe predicts £450 million will be spent on its cards alone
- Online transactions could top 7.7 million, an increase of 16% on last year
- An average of £312,500 is expected to be spent every minute, Visa said
- UK consumers will make 113 million visits to online retail sites today, online analyst Experian claims