After students from Leicester University unveiled a formula for the 'perfect' builder's tea today, after accepting a challenge from a local construction firm, here are some little-known facts about the popularity of tea in the UK:
- The British have been drinking tea for nearly 400 years
- The UK imports and consumes 140 thousand tonnes of tea per year
- The UK drinks 165 million cups per day - 62 billion cups per year
- Tea outsells coffee in the UK by two-to-one
Tea has a 'rich' history worldwide, as these interesting facts surrounding the origin of the tea-leaf demonstrate:
- Tea bags were invented in America in the early 1800s, and were initially used to hold samples of teas brought from India.
- Today, 96% of all cups of tea served around the world were made using teabags.
- After tourism, the cultivation of tea is India’s second largest industry.
- Indian tea, is the most popular in the world, despite the fact that it originates from China.
- There are now estimated to be about 1,500 different varieties of tea
Further facts to suggest why tea is so popular, whatever the formula:
- Tea is a natural antioxidant, rich in vitamins
- Theanine is a stimulant found in tea leaves
- There is less than half the amount of another stimulant, caffeine, which is found in coffee
- 'The Tea Party' is a political movement which calls for less state intervention in the USA.
- 'The Tea Party' name harks back to the Boston Tea Party - which protested in the 1700s.
- Americans destroyed cases of tea which had arrived from India as a way of rebelling against the British government.