Today is International Day of Happiness!
But what is it that makes us happy? Is it money and clothes? Is it health and wellbeing? Is it family and friends?
ITV News Central has been speaking to happiness and life coach, Rob Holcroft, from Worcestershire, about the top tips for happiness.
Rob's top 10 tips for happiness:
- KNOW THAT BEING HAPPY IS A CHOICE. When we wake, we can choose to be happy or choose to be unhappy. Your day will reflect your choice.
- SEEK OUT THE JOY IN EVERYTHING YOU DO. Actively focus on the positive elements in all that you do. Your day will be much more enjoyable.
- GET PHYSICAL. Stretch and move regularly. Get outside as much as possible. A daily walk works wonders.
- SOCIALISE. We are social creatures and benefit from sharing experiences and stories with like-minded people. Become part of a group or community.
- HELP OTHERS. Knowing that you’ve helped someone else feels amazing. Do random acts of kindness.
- CREATE A HEALTHY WORK/LIFE BALANCE. Good health and happiness is found in a fair mix of professional and personal pursuits.
- PLAY. Bernard Shaw said, “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing”. Playing is fun and rejuvenating, whether it’s cards, board games, sports, hobbies or arts and crafts.
- PAY ATTENTION. When you take note of all that is going on around you then you won’t have time to regret the past or worry about the future.
- TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOURSELF. If you don’t like aspects of your life then stop blaming others and do something to improve it. Be proactive.
- BE ACTIVE. Too many activities, such as social media and watching TV, can be passive. Participate in life. Be interested. Do things. Do lots of things. If you don’t know what to do then it doesn’t matter what you do, as long as you do something!
Have an awesome day!