The second phase of work on the St Chad's and Queensway tunnels in Birmingham gets underway from tonight. They'll be closed from 10pm to 6am every night for two weeks and will then close completely until September.
Birmingham City Council is advising that while the best way to travel during the closures will be by public transport. But if you are traveling into Birmingham by car during the closures, there are a number of suggested routes that you can take to help you avoid the tunnels and also help us keep the impact on traffic in the city to a minimum.
For example, if you would normally enter the city via the M6 junction 6 / A38(M) Aston Expressway, please consider using an alternative motorway junction and then the A4540 ring road to get into the city centre.
By using the ring road to travel around the city, you can then use one of the alternative routes into the centre at the most appropriate point for your destination. Diversion and alternative routes will be signposted.
Signage of the alternative routes, which will be identifiable by a tunnels icon, is intended to direct people away from potential hotspots and into the city centre via more suitable corridors.
The localised measures that will be put in place as part of the traffic management plan include the following:
- Inbound access to Paradise Circus from Broad Street will be restricted to bus, taxi and cyclists only. The restriction will be in place between Bridge Street and Paradise Circus. A number of localised diversion routes will be signed including via Sheepcote Street/Sand Pits. The outbound carriageway is not affected by these restrictions.
- Snow Hill Queensway will be restricted to bus, taxi and cyclists only in both directions between St Chad’s and Colmore Circus. Access inbound will be signed via Livery Street and an outbound diversion will be in place via Printing House Street and Whittall Street.
- There will be no right turn from Old Snow Hill (from Constitution Hill) onto Great Charles Street. A diversion route will be signed from Constitution Hill to Colmore Row via Newhall Street.
- Temporary traffic signals will be in place on the Hagley Road inbound slip road onto Five Ways roundabout to manage traffic flows at Five Ways.
- Hill Street may be restricted to bus, taxi and cyclists only in order to manage access onto Paradise Circus.
You can read more on suggested routes here.