Autism is a lifelong developmental disability that affects how a person communicates with, and relates to, other people.
It also affects how they make sense of the world around them.
- It's a spectrum condition, which means it can affect sufferers in different ways.
- Some people can live independent lives but others have accompanying learning difficulties and need lifetime support.
- People with autism may also experience over- or under-sensitivity to sounds, touch, tastes, smells, light or colours.
- Asperger syndrome is a form of autism
- People with Aspergers are often of average or above average intelligence
- They have fewer problems with speech but may still struggle with understanding language.