Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Scavenger cat needs surgery after tin can accident

Felix during surgery Credit: PDSA

A Warwickshire cat called Felix needed emergency surgery after he got a tin of food stuck on his head, a pet charity has said.

The former stray got into a tight scrape when he was scavenging in a neighbour's recycling bin.

Owner Sam Wellbank, 34, from Bedworth, saw his predicament when she called Felix the cat in for breakfast.

He spends lots of time outside but never wanders far.

I heard a clatter as Felix jumped over the fence into the garden and when I looked outside, he was sat on the grass with the food can stuck fast on his head. We picked him up but he was very stressed and trying to claw us.

He was meowing loudly and was obviously in a lot of discomfort. I drove him straight to PDSA for some urgent help.

– Sam Wellbank
Vets said there was a worry Felix would suffocate Credit: PDSA

Staff at PDSA's Pet Hospital in Coventry rushed Felix straight into surgery to remove the can.

Vet nurse Debbie Evans said:

Poor Felix was seriously stressed and we were concerned that he had injured himself on the sharp lip of the can in trying to free himself.

There was also a worry that he would suffocate, so we needed to act quickly.

– Debbie Evans, vet

Vets gave Felix a general aesthetic and removed the offending can.

Felix had cut his ear on the can, which was bleeding quite a lot.

Once we had cleaned the wound, we kept Felix in for a few hours to keep an eye on him. His temperature was on the high side, probably due to the stress of his ordeal.

– Debbie Evans, vet
Felix needed surgery to remove the tin can from his head Credit: PDSA

Following Felix's experience, PDSA vets are encouraging recyclers to think about the perils of pets foraging through their cans and glass.

Owner Sam added:

Felix adopted us and the kids absolutely adore him.

I can't thank PDSA enough for all their help - they were great with Felix and with us too as we were all pretty worked up and worried.

– Sam Wellbank