1. ITV Report

Teen's death 'misadventure', inquest concludes

Mitchell Rodgers died in March 2015. Credit: BPM Media

A teenager's death has been ruled as "misadventure" after he was struck by a train.

Mitchell Rodgers, who was 16, died after he was hit by a 100mph train at Belper Railway Station in Derbyshire.

He had climbed onto the tracks while being chased by police in March 2015.

His family now say they have been "let down" following the inquest yesterday.

We, as a family, would like to thank everybody that has helped and supported us.

We do feel let down and in our opinion justice has not been served to Mitchell.

We want to pass on our thoughts to the train driver as we appreciate this has been a difficult time for him also. We now ask that people respect our grieving.

– Nicola Village, mother

The three-day inquest at Derby Coroners' Court heard police had approached Mitchell in the street after receiving reports of a disturbance in a flat in nearby Bridge Street, where a small party was being held.

His family said they had been 'let down' in a statement read after the inquest. Credit: BPM Media

After being cautioned by officers, Mitchell ran away and was chased by PC Andrew Cocking and PC David Chambers.

Mitchell lowered himself onto the tracks and when PC Cocking saw a "big brown light" approaching and he shouted at him to get off the tracks.

Mitchell decided to run and you have heard in evidence there were eight possible routes he could have taken.

PC Andrew Cocking, who was pursuing Mitchell, shouted ‘stop police’ but Mitchell ignored that request.

Mitchell decided himself to lower himself from the platform and on to the tracks.

The police could not have predicted that Mitchell would run to Belper railway station and go on to the tracks at the precise time an express train came through at 100mph.

Therefore the legal conclusion you are only able to reach is that Mitchell died as a result of misadventure.

– Dr Robert Hunter, coroner

A pathologist concluded that Mitchell died “almost instantaneously” from an extensive head injury.

In September 2015, an Independent Police Complaints Commission investigation into Mitchell’s death found there was “no case to answer for the officers involved”.