Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Teenager terrified after new phone charger catches fire

Chloe Moore said she was "lucky not to be burnt" Photo: BPM

A teenager who was left terrified after a phone charger caught fire on her lap, now wants to raise the awareness of buying "cheap electrical goods".

Chloe Moore, 16, said she bought an iPhone 5 or 6 compatible, one metre Signalex sync and charger cable from a Poundland store on Station Road in Ilkeston, Derbyshire.

As soon as the charger was plugged into Chloe's legitimate iPhone in her Chaddesden home, she could quickly smell burning.

As soon as I plugged it in, I could smell a very strong burning smell as if the plastic was melting.

Moments later, it started smoking and then the metal bit which was plugged into my phone caught fire.

I screamed and threw it on the floor and switched it off at the plug straight away. I'm very lucky not to be burnt.

What if I had plugged it in and left the room? It could've set my entire house on fire and killed somebody.

– Chloe Moore
The adaptor is scorched but the phone has not been damaged Credit: BPM

A spokeswoman for Poundland has said:

This is the first we’ve heard of it, but we’ll obviously investigate if she gets in contact with us. Our cables are made to the highest standards.

It appears from the packaging picture this was a cable not a charger and as part of the investigation we’d like to understand what kind of charger she was using too.

– Spokeswoman, Poundland

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service's Station Manager and Lead Fire Investigation Officer, Dave Paul, said:

If a charger needs replacing, then purchase manufacturer recommended products only.

I’d also ask that people take care when they are charging their devices and always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

Don’t leave electronic devices charging for longer than the manufacturer advises, or leave them charging overnight.

– Station Manager, Dave Paul