1. ITV Report

Delay by teachers 'could have contributed to death of schoolboy' inquest hears

Mohammed Ismaeel Ashraf had a severe allergic reaction to an Credit: BPM Media

A delay by teachers in treating a schoolboy suffering from an allergic reaction could have contributed to his death, an inquest has heard.

If Mohammed Ismaeel Ashraf, 9, had been given a shot of adrenaline by staff at Al-Hijrah School sooner, he might have survived.

That was the conclusion by three doctors who gave evidence at the inquest into his death.

It was originally thought that the school boy from Sparkhill may have had an allergic reaction to fish fingers he was served in the school canteen.

During the inquest, Birmingham Coroner’s Court heard that this was not the case and it may have been something he ate in the playground.

He died in hospital several hours after falling ill at the Bordesley Green school on March 3 this year.

The jury had previously heard how the youngster had allergies to some fish, all dairy products, nuts and kiwi fruit.

When asked by the Coroner if the delay in giving him an adrenaline injection from his Epi-Pen caused his death, all three doctors said it didn’t.

But when asked if the delay possibly contributed to the death, they replied that it might have played a part.

Al-Hijrah school in Birmingham Credit: BPM Media

Paediatrician Dr Robin Tall said: “There was a window of opportunity for the Epi-Pen to be used and he was more likely to have responded then, but there’s no certainty in knowing that.”

Ismaeel’s class teacher, Shaid Yousef, admitted there had been a delay in because he had failed to grasp the seriousness of the allergic reaction.

Mr Yousef said although it was stated in his care plan that if an allergic reaction was suspected, the Epi-Pen must be brought and given as soon as possible, this was not done.

Ismaeel was sent to reception and given some antihistamines and his inhaler, even though he had stomach pains and heavy breathing - two symptoms of a severe allergic reaction.

When asked by the Coroner if he should have given Ismaeel his Epi-Pen sooner, Mr Yousef replied “I could have done that, yes.”

The inquest was also told how there was a further delay in administering the Epi-Pen because no-one could find it straight away.

The hearing continues.