A gardener says he was confronted by his worst fear, when he discovered 15 snakes in his back garden.
The man, who wants to remain anonymous, claims he also found dozens of snake eggs whilst clearing overgrown grass in his new home near Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire.
He also went to hospital after two purple bite marks began to develop on his hand the following day and by the afternoon he said his hand 'felt like it was on fire'.
Doctors at Boston Pilgrim Hospital confirmed it was possibly a venomous 'dry' snake bite - meaning venom had pierced the skin, but the saliva had not entered his body.
He was given antibiotics for the bite and has since made a full recovery but he admitted it has made him more cautious.
“My biggest fear is snakes – it is my phobia,” he said, “It has made me more cautious and you do worry with the kids around.
“I’m hoping it is because the house we are in has been empty for a while – there probably won’t be as many from now on."
A spokesman for the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust said it was ‘unlikely’ an adder was involved, but said it may have been an escaped exotic pet.