Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Widow receives six-figure sum after teacher husband was exposed to asbestos in classroom

Bryan Shaw was told he had an incurable form of cancer Mesothelioma and died on 10th April 2015 Credit: BPM Media

The widow of a former music teacher has received a six-figure sum after her husband was exposed to asbestos in the classroom.

Julie Shaw's husband Bryan taught at Leicester Grammar School for 21 years until 2012.

He was diagnosed with mesothelioma, a rare and incurable form of cancer, in 2011. He died from the disease four years later.

It is believed Mr Shaw was unknowingly exposed asbestos when he worked at the St Nicholas building, the school's former site in St Martins, Leicester.

According to solicitor firm Slater and Gordon Lawyers, who represent Mrs Shaw, it is thought that asbestos was not properly cleared when it was removed from piping in the music practice room in 1985.

The couple pursued a legal case against Leicester Grammar School Trust, which Mrs Shaw continued after her husband's death.

The case has now been settled out of court, in an undisclosed sum of money to Mrs Shaw.

I will always remember the night he returned after seeing the doctor.

We had been previously attending the hospital as he felt as though there was a rattle in his chest, something he had never experienced before.

That was the first and last medical appointment he attended without me, and for him to receive that diagnosis alone is a permanent regret.

Bryan absolutely loved what he did. Music and being a teacher was a huge part of both our lives and discovering that the time spent sharing his passion was ultimately going to end his life in such a way was a bitter blow.

– Julie Shaw

The school trust said it has not accepted liability at any stage, and the matter was passed to its insurers.

Chris King, Head Teacher of Leicester Grammar School, said:

Bryan Shaw, a former teacher at Leicester Grammar School, brought a legal case against the Trust claiming that the cause of his mesothelioma lay in a source in a building occupied by the school prior to 2008.

Exceptionally in such cases, cause and effect do not have to be proven by the claimant.

At no stage did the Trust accept liability and the Trust did not pay any money to the Shaw family.

The matter was passed to our insurance company who we believe settled the case without it going to court.

– Bryan Shaw, Former Teacher at Leicester Grammar School