Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Cinema-goer suffered cardiac arrest after his head became stuck under foot rest

The 'freak' accident happened at a Vue cinema in Birmingham. Credit: BPM Media

A cinema-goer suffered a cardiac after his head became stuck under an electronic foot-rest.

The man reportedly bent down to pick up his phone when his head became wedged under the foot-rest at Vue cinema in Birmingham.

The cinema chain has now launched an investigation after paramedics administered advanced life support to restart the man's heart.

The 'freak' accident happened at the Star City leisure complex on Friday 9 March.

The victim - who hasn't been named - was reportedly only freed after fellow cinema-goers broke the foot-rest in the Gold Class seats.

An investigation has now been launched after the incident last week. Credit: BPM Media

West Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed that it was called to reports of a patient in cardiac arrest at Star City.

Crews arrived on scene to find a man in cardiac arrest with bystanders having already commenced CPR.

Ambulance staff took over and administered advanced life support, successfully managing to restart the man's heart.

He was then transported to Heartlands Hospital for further treatment

– West Midlands Ambulance Service

A spokeswoman for Vue Cinemas said a full investigation is now underway after the incident last Friday.

We can confirm an incident took place on Friday 9 March at our Birmingham cinema, of which a full investigation is underway.

We are committed to helping and assisting those involved and respect their wishes for privacy and no publicity.

– Vue Cinemas

Mark Croxford, head of environmental health at Birmingham City Council, added that a health and safety investigation has also begun.