Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Filmgoer dies after freak electric chair accident at Vue Cinema in Star City, Birmingham

A man has died after his head was crushed by an electronic cinema seat in Birmingham Credit: BPM

A man has died after his head was crushed in a freak accident involving an electronic seat at a cinema in Birmingham.

The moviegoer was trying to retrieve his phone after it dropped between two seats during a film at Vue Cinema, in Star City.

When he went to retrieve it, the electric seat's footrest is said to have clamped on his head.

His partner and cinema staff battled to release him, and the man was eventually broken free and taken to hospital.

Vue Cinema confirmed today that he died on Friday 16 March.

An investigation has now been launched by Environmental Health.

Following an incident which took place on Friday 9 March at our Birmingham cinema, we can confirm that a customer was taken to hospital that evening.

We are saddened to learn that he passed away on Friday 16 March.

A full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing. Our thoughts and condolences are with the family who have our full support and assistance.

– A spokesman for Vue