Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Aerosol can causes explosion in Buxton home

Crews were called to reports of an explosion on Ash Street Credit: Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service

An investigation into an explosion at a property in Buxton, Derbyshire, found that the blast was most likely caused by an aerosol can.

Two crews were called to reports of an explosion on Ash Street on Sunday (29 April).

When firefighters arrived on the scene, there was "significant structural damage" to the front of the two-storey house.

The ruptured aerosol can Credit: Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service

This damage was caused by the rupture of an aerosol canister that had been left on a wood burner, resulting in the ignition of the released gas.

The high-pressure within the property then caused the window to be blown out into the street.

The three occupants in the property were taken to hospital for precautionary checks.

"Luckily, everyone that was in the house at the time were able to Get Out, Stay Out and Call 999, however this could have been very different.

"It’s absolutely devastating to see the extensive damage that can be caused by something as simple as leaving an aerosol canister near a source of heat. “Most people will have at least one aerosol can in their homes, whether it be air fresheners, deodorant or hair spray.

I’d ask people to always store any aerosol canisters away from any heat source or naked flame.”

– Fire Investigator, Station Manager Adam Hind