Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Woman furious after washing machine catches fire after 'fault'

Kiana Roberts machine caught fire after an electrical fault Credit: BPM Media

A mum has blasted an electronics company after she claims a washing machine caught fire at her home – putting her three-week-old baby in danger.

Kiana Roberts, from Alvaston in Derbyshire, is disabled and was at home with her son when the seven-year-old washing machine caught fire following an electrical malfunction.

It was a miracle my husband was at home to put out the fire. If he wasn’t there, then it would have been a completely different story. Luckily, he managed to drag the machine out of our back door, which is the only ramped access into the house.

It had the potential to be fatal had it not been for a series of non-typical events for me that day.

– Kiana Roberts
The machine after the fire Credit: BPM Media

The 29-year-old said she rang the company but they were, at first, unhelpful and offered £100 as compensation.

Such a reputable company should be held accountable for what could have been a very dangerous situation.

You would think the company such as LG would care about their customers. I feel they are being very rude to dismiss that an electrical component in their machine failed, which was confirmed by a LG engineer, and have left me without a machine for two weeks now.

– Kiana Roberts

A spokeswoman for LG apologised for Mrs Roberts' experience and said they will continue to work with the mum to address any concerns.

We were really sorry and saddened to hear about Mrs Roberts’ experience. As soon as we were made aware, we immediately carried out a thorough investigation within the machine. Please be assured that this is an isolated incident and reports of this nature are incredibly rare. Customer safety is our number one priority and we have very strong testing in place to ensure our products are some of the safest on the market.

Whilst we are confident that we have followed all the appropriate procedures in responding to this incident, we fully understand the customer has had an unfortunate and unpleasant experience and for that we are really sorry. We are dedicated to remaining in contact with Mrs Roberts to address her concerns.

– LG Spokesperson