Contractors have moved in to clear more than 100 tonnes of rubbish dumped in a country laneRead the full story ›
A council has appealed to residents and park users for help in tracking down vandals who caused more than £3,000 worth of damage at Long Eaton’s West Park in Derbyshire.
Erewash Borough Council said over last weekend (18 and 19 February), one lamp column was snapped in two and the top half stolen, two trees were broken beyond repair, damage was caused to another light and graffiti sprawled on buildings and signs.
The council is facing a bill of more than £3,000 to repair and replace items and to remove the graffiti.
Councillor Mike Wallis, Erewash Borough Council’s Lead Member for Culture and Leisure, says:
To say we are absolutely furious at this latest vandalism would be an understatement.
In fact it is very difficult to find words that adequately describe our anger and frustration at the mindless idiots who have caused this damage which is costing us – and our council tax payers - money.
A lorry load of rubbish has been dumped near the village of Yoxall in Staffordshire.Read the full story ›
Residents claim to be too scared to take their children to a park because it is home to hundreds of Canada geese.Read the full story ›
The government could be about to abandon its manifesto pledge to preserve leafy areas around cities and allow some development.Read the full story ›
More than £17 million is to go towards revitalising 10 run-down conservation areas across the UK.Read the full story ›
Residents in a small north Derbyshire village are challenging plans which they say could lead to fracking near their homes.Read the full story ›
Proposals to introduce charges for people taking building and demolition waste to recycling centres in Derbyshire will be considered today.Read the full story ›
Twycross Zoo is undertaking its annual stocktake of all animals today - including 41 new babies!Read the full story ›
With temperatures falling and the colder weather coming, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is reminding residents to think carefully before heating their home this winter.
The advice comes after a number of reports of people heating their homes in dangerous ways, without realising the risks.
The service now wants to reinforce the message by highlighting the top mistakes people make in their home when trying to stay warm. This includes:
1) Putting washing too close to their halogen heaters
2) Sitting too close to their halogen heaters
3) Leaving their halogen heaters on when going to bed
4) Keeping wood all the way round a wood burner when lit
5) Using candle flower pot heaters - home-made heating devices made by candles being placed under an upside down plant pot
"We want people to stay warm and well this winter, but our main priority is that people stay safe. "We know it's tempting to sit with the heater close to your legs or to dry washing quicker by having the heater right next to it, but this can be extremely dangerous.
"These are all things we see when we visit people in their homes, and it is vital that they understand the dangers so they don’t put themselves or their loved ones at risk. “We realise that it is expensive to heat your homes at present, but would recommend portable oil filled radiators for small space heating."I