- 15 updates
Speaking on ITV Daybreak, Stephanie Trotter, President of the Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety Society, said:
"Any fuel that burns that is carbon based can give off carbon monoxide gas, which is absolutely deadly, even in tiny amounts.
"You might think the flames have gone down but it's still burning.
"Never, ever take anything like that into a tent or a house."
In response to a question about the absence of labelling on disposal barbecues, in particular, Stephanie says:
"I checked in my local garden centre and they all say don't use indoors but that implies it is to do with fire, not carbon monoxide poisoning.
"We've been saying since 1995 there should be TV warnings about this. When this charity started, no one would talk to us, except families of the victims.
"They told us they were ill or there child died ad they had no idea what carbon monoxide poisoning was'
"It cannot be sensed. Less than two per cent of carbon monoxide can kill you in two to three minute.
"The first breath might make you woozy, the second might make you unconscious and the third breath means you are dead.
"Why are we not being warned. Why is industry and government doing so little. We've been asking for this for 20 years."
There's more on this story here on ITV News
Tributes have been paid to a girl who died at a Shropshire campsite after apparently becoming overcome with carbon monoxide fumes from a barbecue.
The youngster has been named locally as Hannah Thomas-Jones.
Friends of a teenage girl who was killed in a campsite tragedy, thought to have been caused by a disposable barbecue, have been putting tributes on a Facebook page.
The teenager was named locally as Hannah Thomas-Jones.
David Walker, head of Leisure Safety at RoSPA - The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents - says unless tents have a specific area for cooking, barbecues should be used outside in well ventilated areas so fumes can be dispersed into the air.
Fellow camper Geoff Brookes from Kidderminster, said the family had taken a barbecue stove into one of the tents because it was cold.
The scene remains cordoned off tonight.
Latest ITV News reports
An investigation is continuing today into a campsite tragedy which left a teenage girl dead.
A girl has died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning and 3 others are in hospital.