- 4 updates
Dr Nick Thom from the Pavement Engineering Research Centre at the University of Nottingham explains exactly what causes potholes.
- Know where the dangerous potholes are where you normally drive
- Keep your distance from the car in front in case the driver spots a pothole too late
- Stick to speed limit and drive slower than normal on smaller roads (potholes are more prevalent here)
- Never swerve to avoid potholes, drive slowly over it
- Report any dangerous potholes to the local authority
With heavy snowfall expected in the Midlands before Christmas, councils are being warned to prepare for pothole repairs in their local areas.
But due to budget cuts, rural watchdog The Country Land and Business Association (CLA) say they are concerned about the safety of road users and are warning drivers to take care on country roads.