- 16 updates
Mansfield's Executive Mayor, Tony Egginton, has told ITV News Central that Rebecca Adlington will become an inspirational business women from Nottinghamshire.
"We've all shed tears at some point," he said. "Rebecca has been tremendous for Mansfield, and she's put us on the map."
Olympic swimmer Rebecca Adlington has thanked all those who have supported her throughout her career.
In a series of tweets and in a longer article on her website Rebecca thanked, "all my swimming teaches/coaches when I was young. You made it so much fun!"
In a statement connected to her retirement she also said, "To everyone in Mansfield who has believed in me from day one. It will always be my home. I'm a proud Mansfield girl!!"
Swimming star Becky Adlington from Nottinghamshire is retiring from the pool at the age of 23. She's decided to quit competitive sport because she feels she's too old to take on the very best.
Adlington won two gold medals at the Beijing Olympics in 2008. Peter Bearne's report contains flash photography from the start.
- August 2008 - Won double Olympic gold in Beijing with victory in the 800m and 400m freestyle.
- December 2008 - Came 3rd in the Sports Personality of the Year 2008.
- January 2009 - Awarded an OBE by the Queen in the New Years Honours of 2009
- October 2010 - Adlington claims Commonwealth gold in both the 800m and 400m freestyle in Delhi.
- August 2012 – Had to settle for Olympic Bronze in the 800m and 400m freestyle in London.
- In total Adlington won seven gold medals, three silver medals and seven bronze medals in international competition.
Michael Phelps, the 18-times Olympic gold medal winner, has paid his tribute to Rebecca Adlington's "fantastic career."
Rebecca Adlington's long term coach Bill Furniss has paid tribute to the swimmer as she announces her retirement:
Olympians have taken to Twitter to pay tribute to Rebecca Adlington and to wish her luck as she retires from competitive swimming.
Boxer Anthony Ogogo, heptathlete Louise Hazel and open water swimmer Kari-anne Payne tweeted:
Latest ITV News reports
Britain's double Olympic champion swimmer Rebecca Adlington has retired from competition to concentrate on grassroots coaching,.
Nottinghamshire swimming ace, Rebecca Adlington, will today make a 'major announcement.'