- 44 updates
Irfan Naseer's terrorist plot 'had the blessing of al Qaida as he intended to further their aims' the judge has said.
Irfan Naseer has been told he must take sole responsibility for 'sending four young men to Pakistan for terrorism training' by Mr Justice Henriques at London's Woolwich Crown Court.
The Birmingham ringleader of a terror plot which it is thought could have been bigger than the July 7 attacks has been sentenced to life in prison.
31 year-old Irfan Naseer, who appeared at Woolwich Crown Court, will serve a minimum of 18 years in prison before he can be considered for parole.
A total of eleven men from Birmingham are being sentenced today over the plot.
Irfan Naseer, Irfan Khalid and Ashik Ali were found guilty of a total of twelve terrorism charges last month.
Four other men were convicted of terrorism offences.
A further four men pleaded guilty after travelling to Pakistan for terrorism training.
Police say the terror plot involving two men from Birmingham who've today pleaded guilty, was the biggest the UK mainland has ever seen.
Bahader Ali and Mohammed Rizwan were part of an eleven-strong gang of would-be terrorists who planned to set off rucksack bombs in crowded places.
They're the final two men to be convicted of planning to carry out mass murder on a bigger scale than the 7th July 2005 attacks in London.
Two members of a gang who planned atrocities bigger than 7/7 have admitted terrorist offences.
Mohammed Rizwan, 34, and Bahader Ali, 19, both from Sparkbrook in Birmingham, pleaded guilty to engaging in conduct in preparation of acts of terrorism at Woolwich Crown Court today, police said.
Police believe it was the most significant terror plot to be uncovered since the 2006 conspiracy to blow up transatlantic airliners using bombs disguised as soft drinks.
A look at the reaction within the community where Irfan Naseer, 31, Irfan Khalid, 27, and Ashik Ali, 27, were based.
All three men have been found guilty at Woolwich Crown Court of being "central figures" in a terrorist bomb plot.
Three men from Birmingham have been found guilty of planning a series of suicide bomb attacks in the UK.
Irfan Naseer, Irfan Khalid and Ashik Ali planned to carry out a wave of suicide bomb attacks in crowded places.
Today's verdicts follow a three and a half month trial at Woolwich Crown Court. The three men will be sentenced at a later date.
The attacks were described as being potentially bigger than the 7/7 bombings in London.
John Willats reports on the plot and the men behind it.
The Deputy Leader of Birmingham City Council has said more work needs to be done to encourage people in the community to speak to the police about their concerns.
_"No one wants to see their children radicalised. No one wants to see their children blow themselves up in terrorist attrocities. We need to get to the point where communities when they are aware of this kind of thing are prepared to talk to the police." _
Councillor Ian Ward - Deputy Leader of Birmingham City Council
Special prosecutor with the counter terrorism division Karen Jones said the bomb plotters were "dangerous men with dangerous aspirations" who wanted to create an attack that was "bigger than 7/7" and "another 9/11."
Latest ITV News reports
Former youth worker gives reaction from Sparkhill