Police involved in two murder investigations in Leicester have confirmed they are continuing to investigate whether there is a link between a fatal house fire and the discovery of a body in the city.
In a press conference this afternoon, Asst Ch Cons Roger Bannister from Leicestershire Police said inquiries were ongoing in the area to see whether there is any link between the two incidents.
However, he confirmed there was "no evidence" that the people living in the house in Wood Hill, destroyed by fire yesterday, were in any way involved in the death of the 20-year-old man discovered in Kent Street on Thursday evening.
Leicester police detectives investigating a fire at a house in Wood Hill in Leicester have said there is no evidence to suggest anyone living in the house was involved in an earlier incident in Kent Street.
Police were called to the fire early yesterday morning where a mother and her three children were found dead inside a house.
Hours earlier on Thursday evening, a man in his twenties was found injured in Kent Street. He was taken to hospital where he later died. Three people have been arrested in connection with his death.
Speaking this morning Assistant Chief Constable for Leicestershire Police, Roger Bannister, said:
“While we are investigating links between the two crimes there is absolutely no evidence to suggest those who died in the fire, or indeed anyone else who lives in that property, was involved in the assault in Kent Street.
Because of the close proximity - in terms of time and location - of the two incidents, it is right that we look at whether there are links between the two crimes.
However, at this stage in our investigations we have found nothing to suggest the residents of the house devastated by the fire had anything to do with the Kent Street incident.
We have three people in custody in relation to the murder of the young man in Kent Street and we continue with the complex forensic investigations at Wood Hill."