A father whose wife and three children were killed in a suspected arson attack in Leicester has said he had planned to be with his family on the night of the blaze.
Muhammad Taufiq Al Sattar, a neurosurgeon working in Ireland at the time, said he believes that it was God's will that he was not killed along with his wife and teenage children.
18-year-old Kemo Anthony Porter appeared in court earlier today charged with murdering Shehnila Taufiq, 47, her daughter Zainab, 19, and sons Bilal, 17, and Jamil, 15.
– Muhammad Taufiq Al Sattar
"Initially I planned that if I could come one day before so that I could spend an extra day with Jamil. But it was not possible.
"God did not want that I should be in the house at that time on that Friday night ... otherwise I could be burned as well. God did not plan it like that."
A teenager has appeared in court charged with murdering a mother and her three children.
Kemo Anthony Porter was not required to indicate a plea during a two-minute appearance at Leicester Magistrates' Court.
The 18-year-old is accused of the murders of Shehnila Taufiq, 47, her 19-year-old daughter Zainab, and sons Bilal, 17, and Jamil, 15, who died in a house fire last Friday.
Porter only spoke to confirm his name, address and date of birth. He was remanded in custody to appear by video-link at Leicester Crown Court on Monday.
A man is due in court today charged with the murder of four people in a house fire in Leicester.
Shehnila Taufiq, who was in her 40s, died in her home, along with her 19-year-old daughter Zainab and sons, Bilal, 17, and Jamal, 15.
Kemo Anthony Porter, 18, from Browning Street in Leicester, will appear at Leicester Magistrates Court later.
Police say an 18-year-old man charged with murdering a mother and her three children in a house fire in Leicester, will appear in court tomorrow.
Kemo Anthony Porter, 18, from Browning Street in Leicester, will appear at the city's magistrates court.
– Steve Chappell, Chief Crown Prosecutor at CPS East Midlands
“The evidence has been reviewed by a Crown Advocate from the CPS East Midlands Complex Casework Unit, who has decided that there is sufficient evidence to charge and that it is in the public interest for a prosecution to take place.
“It is important to note that proceedings are now active, and the accused is entitled to a fair trial.
"Nothing should be said or reported that would prejudice that right.”
Police investigating a house fire which killed a woman and her three daughters in Leicester have charged an 18-year-old man with murder.
More to follow...
Last night, the family of Antoin Akpom met with the husband and father of four people who died in a house fire in Leicester last week.
Dr Taufiq Al-Satter hugged Mr Akpom's father at an event at their local mosque.
His wife and three children died in a house-fire in Spinney Hills on the same night as Mr Akpom was killed.
Police say there has been no evidence to link the fire deaths to Mr Akpom's murder.
Rajiv Popat reports.
Police investigating a fire which killed a mother and her three children in Leicester have released a man on bail.
The 49-year-old was arrested following the blaze at Wood Hill early on Friday, 13 September.
Officers have also applied to magistrates for further time to question an 18-year-old arrested as part of the investigation.
Three women, aged 19, 20 and 27, also arrested in connection with the fire, were released on bail on Monday.
Dr Taufiq Al-Sattar, who lost his wife and three children in a house fire in Wood Hill, has spoken at a community solidarity event to support those affected by the murders in Leicester.
Shehnila Taufiq, who was in her 40s, her 19-year-old daughter Zainab and sons, Bilal, 17, and Jamal, 15, died at their Leicester home last Thursday night (12 September).
Two people are still being questioned by police in connection with their deaths.
Police have praised the Leicester community following the house fire which killed four people and a stabbing which killed a man hours before.
Assistant Chief Constable for Leicestershire Police, Roger Bannister, says local residents have been "fantastic during this difficult time."
Three women who were arrested as part of the investigation into the fatal house fire at Wood Hill, Leicester, have been released on bail.
The women, aged 19, 20 and 27, have each been given police bail while further investigations are carried out.
Two men are still being questioned by police.