Teenager admits to hoax calls

A 16-year-old girl has admitted wasting police time after 419 hoax calls were made to Derbyshire Police.

Live updates


  1. Mark Gough

Hoax teen given curfew and restraining order

The court heard that the 16-year-old girl committed this offence while she was three months into a referral order for committing a similar offence before.

The chairman of the bench, Mr Bernard Peters said what she had done was "a disgrace". He said the police are there to protect the public and she had disrupted that.

He said that was an aggravating feature of the offence which put it in the zone where she could receive a custodial sentence.

However, he imposed a three month curfew on her and a five year restraining order forbidding her from having any contact with the woman who was the victim of the hoax calls.

  1. Mark Gough

Court hears hoax caller also damaged property

The court heard that the woman who was the victim of the calls had complained that the 16-year-old had damaged her property.

The 16-year-old girl said when she started making the calls she thought it was just a laugh and a joke but realised how serious it had become when she got arrested and was interviewed by police. She said it was a stupid mistake.

The court also heard that it's the second time the 16 year old girl had committed an offence like this.

  1. Mark Gough

Teenage girl admits to 419 hoax calls to police

A 16-year-old girl has admitted wasting police time after 419 hoax calls were made to Derbyshire Police.

A youth court in Derby heard that 90 calls were made in just one night. Some of the 419 calls were 999 calls asking for police to go to an address in Derby where a woman was being assaulted by her mother.

Bill Taylor, prosecuting, said that the 16-year-old girl and a 20-year-old woman were involved in making the calls. He said they both made the calls from the same mobile phone number.

Mr Taylor said one of the 999 calls claimed to be from a woman who told police: "Help, help, help. My mother is assaulting me. I need police urgently" and gave an address.

When police went to the address they discovered the woman at that address had not made the call and did not require the police.

Mr Taylor said Derbyshire Police were unable to say how much responding to the calls had cost but it had caused a serious impact on their ability to deal with genuine calls from the public.

He said it was impossible to say how many of the 419 calls the 16-year-old had made directly. Her defence solicitor said she was not involved in the majority of them.

The case continues.


Back to top