Smoke alarm saves four lives

A family in Telford are urging people to make sure they have a working smoke detector, after theirs woke them in time to escape from a house fire.

Live updates

Mother looks through remains of house after fire

The mother of a family whose lives were saved by their smoke alarm has shown ITV News Central reporter Sally Lockwood around her burnt and stripped-out house.

Vikki Fitzsimmons was asleep in bed when the alarm alerted her to the fire. They managed to get out before the fire tore through the house.

The mother looks back to where the rooms used to be, grateful for the fire detector that woke them up.

Advertisement

Family encourage smoke alarm fitting after surviving house fire

A family in Telford are urging people to make sure they have a working smoke detector, after it woke four members in time to escape from a house fire.

Vikki and Kevin Fitzsimmons in what was their bedroom

Vikki Fitzsimmons' house burnt down, but she and three children survived after being woken up by their smoke alarm.

Vikki was asleep at the time of the fire and believes she would not have got her three children downstairs and outside in time, if she had not woken to the noise of the smoke alarm.

Back to top