Fire service updates

The latest updates from the Midland fire and rescue services.

Blaze at former Royal Doulton factory

Four fire crews are currently tackling a blaze at the former Royal Doulton factory in Staffordshire.

A fire has taken hold of the former Royal Doulton factory in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent
A fire has taken hold of the former Royal Doulton factory in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent Credit: West Midlands Ambulance Service

People are urged to avoid the area around Nile Street in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, while the incident is ongoing.

West Midlands Ambulance Service is also in attendance but report that nobody has been injured.

Advertisement

Firefighters tackle blaze at disused factory

Fifty firefighters are on the scene of a blaze at a disused factory in Smethwick tonight.

Crews were called to London Street shortly after 6.30pm, where they found the large building - which was in the process of being demolished - on fire.

The fire is at a disused factory in London Street, Smethwick
The fire is at a disused factory in London Street, Smethwick Credit: ITV News Central

Cutting equipment has been used and they are tackling the flames from four different locations.

There are not though to be any hazards inside the building.

Advertisement

Bus and tow truck plough into buildings in Derbyshire

Drivers are warned to steer clear of Victoria Street, Glossop, tonight after a bus and a tow truck crashed into a building.

Structural engineers have been called in to establish whether the buildings are safe.

Dfrs-logo_normal

#Glossop #Firefighters dealing with an RTC with a bus & tow truck into buildings on Victoria St. Glossop. Ambulance & Police on scene also.

Dfrs-logo_normal

#Glossop #Firefighters remain on scene at Victoria St with utility companies, structural engineer, emergency planning & police > AVOID AREA

Two-car crash outside KFC in Halesowen

Cigarette to blame for fatal blaze in Stafford

A cigarette was the cause of a fatal fire which claimed the life of a woman from Stafford, investigators have revealed.

The 53-year-old woman died at her home in Tamar Grove last week, and police and fire officials have now found the blaze was caused by a cigarette which dropped onto her settee, spreading quickly through the downstairs of her home.

Fire crews have warned of the dangers of smoking after a woman died in a house fire
Fire crews have warned of the dangers of smoking after a woman died in a house fire Credit: Tim Ireland/PA

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue investigator Brian Griffiths said stray cigarettes and other smoking materials were there third most common cause of accidental house fires in the county.

This was a tragic accident that sadly is becoming all too common.

We cannot stress enough to smokers the importance of ensuring they handle and dispose of their cigarettes safely because as this incident has highlighted the consequences can be devastating.

We’d urge all smokers to ensure that they fully put out their cigarettes when they’ve finished with them and use a heavy ashtray on a flat surface.

Never light up in bed and avoid smoking when you’re tired as it is very easy to fall asleep whilst your cigarette is still burning.

Car left mangled after crashing into churchyard wall

A car was left badly damaged after smashing into a churchyard wall in Dudley overnight.

The car, which was carrying two women, crashed in Dudley Road, Sedgley, shortly before 10pm.

The women were treated at the scene by paramedics.

6115d323ab114790337ee05bf2760cd4_normal

Rtc in Sedgley, working with police, highways & ambulance, remember seat belts save lives #drivetoarrive http://t.co/NZgzfzUGBc

Bnyoz0diqaefmpb
6115d323ab114790337ee05bf2760cd4_normal

Rtc in Sedgley BRV crews making vehicle and electrical road sign safe REMEMBER #speedkills http://t.co/WcI2re5qPB

Bnyp64bcmaa6xvb
Load more updates