- 11 updates
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) has used an event in Birmingham today to warn parents of the dangers of household chemicals.
The safety group has launched a new campaign at the city's children's hospital, offering fridge magnets with advice to help stop accidents.
Here is Sheila Merrill, RoSPA's public health adviser.
A representative from the cleaning products industry has been advising parents on how to avoid their children accidentally swallowing harmful chemicals, at an event held today at Birmingham Children's Hospital.
Philip Malpass, from the UK Cleaning Products Industry Association, says there are developments in packaging to prevent youngsters getting inside containers of detergent or chemicals.
A mother from the Black Country has described the moment her two-year-old son accidentally swallowed a liquid washing tablet as one of the scariest in her life.
Roxanne Tomkinson said she turned her back for just two minutes to find her son Hayden doubled over in the living room and foaming from the mouth.
Each year tens of thousands of children are admitted to hospital because they've got hold of chemicals which shouldn't be in their reach.
Now safety group RoSPA has chosen Birmingham to pilot a new awareness campaign, to reduce the number of accidents.
One woman from the Black Country told our reporter Chris Halpin the moment her son swallowed a washing machine tab was one of the scariest in her life.
A leading doctor at Birmingham Children's Hospital has warned about the potentially lethal consequences of children accidentally swallowing cleaning products.
There are 140,000 hospital admissions every year involving children and chemicals or medication.
Dr Ben Stanhope spoke earlier to parents at an event organised by safety charity RoSPA, to warn parents of the dangers and encourage them to keep dangerous household chemicals out of their children's reach.
A lead consultant at Birmingham Children's Hospital's emergency department has warned parents that some cleaning products could cause chemical burns if they were to get into a child's eyes.
Campaign groups are urging people to ensure their children are protected from potentially dangerous chemicals in the home.
RoSPA has issued advice to parents concerned about accidental poisoning in the home.
- Keep all vitamins and pills safe and away from children
- Install child-resistant locks on cabinets - which are safer than "child-proof"
- Store household cleaning products in a locked cupboard
- DIY and gardening products should also be locked safely away
- Never keep dangerous products in the fridge
- If your child does swallow something dangerous, keep a sample of what they swallowed so health professionals have a better idea of how to help
- Learn basic first aid
The mother of a toddler who swallowed a liquitab three months ago has thrown her weight behind an awareness campaign warning of the dangers of household cleaning products to children.
Hayden Hodgkinson was 22 months old when he swallowed the washing tablet. He has now fully recovered and healthy.
His mother Roxanne Tomkinson spoke to ITV News Central as RoSPA (the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents) launches a new campaign in Birmingham to urge parents to take extra caution when using and storing cleaning products.
Around 60,000 families across the city are to get notepads with advice on preventing accidental poisonings.
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents say parents need to ensure cleaning products are kept out of reach from children as child resistant containers will only 'slow down' a child's access to the product.
Latest ITV News reports
The warning from the Midlands mother, after her son was rushed to hospital when he accidentally swallowed a liquid washing tab.