Froch-Groves rematch to take place at Wembley

Wembley Stadium will host the Carl Froch-George Groves re-match on May 31.

Carl Froch: Groves rematch fight going to be 'so sweet'

by James Clark

Nottingham's Carl Froch has told his 320,000 Twitter followers that he "cannot wait" for his rematch with George Groves, which is being labelled as one of the biggest fights in boxing history.

He also tweeted the fight is going to be "so sweet".

Froch lands a huge blow is the first fight Credit: Dave Thompson/PA Wire

It was announced yesterday that the highly anticipated rematch between 'The Cobra', as Carl Froch is known in the boxing world, and George Groves, will take place at Wembley Stadium on May 31.

George Groves also took to Twitter, tweeting to his followers "Wembley Stadium... Who is coming?"

Froch will put his WBA and IBF World titles on the line in the Super Middleweight clash.

ARTICLE: Carl Froch v George Groves rematch is on

George Groves looks on as he floors Carl Froch in the first round in the last fight Credit: Dave Thompson/PA Wire

Froch says rematch with Groves at Wembley could make history

Carl Froch after winning against George Groves during the original fight Credit: Dave Thompson/PA Wire

Froch, 36, said he was proud to be part of a fight at the new Wembley, labelling the announcement as "massive".

"For me to be involved in an event like this is a very proud moment," he told Sky Sports News.

"With it being in the capital city as well, it just makes the whole history of the event phenomenal. It's fantastic because Wembley Stadium's massive.

What's it going to hold, potentially 70,000, 80? If we did sell that, that would be phenomenal.

Talk about making history, to go to a stadium like Wembley for such a big boxing match. Everybody's interested and it needs to be held at a big stadium really."

Advertisement

Froch says Wembley announcement is "massive"

Wembley Stadium will host Carl Froch's defence of his IBF and WBA super-middleweight titles in a re-match with George Groves on May 31.

The two will meet in the first bout to be contested under the arch of the new Wembley Stadium.

Froch stopped Groves in the ninth round of their last contest but controversy followed with many experts suggesting referee Howard Foster stepped in when Groves was able to continue.

Nottingham-born Froch kept hold of his belts despite being knocked to the mat by Groves in the opening round but, earlier this year, the IBF ordered a re-match.

Froch, 36, said he was proud to be part of a fight at the new Wembley, labelling the announcement as "massive".